A Z-Crystal (Zクリスタル Z-Kurisutaru) is a special type of crystal introduced in Generation VII, used to activate a Z-Move. It helps Pokémon use the corresponding Z-Move when equipped with one, as long as it knows a move of the same type.
One Z-Crystal can be used as many times and on many Pokémon as one wishes. The Z-Crystals work with the Z-Ring.
For a trainer to obtain Z-Crystal, one must complete an Island Trial challenge by defeating Totem Pokémon and a Grand Trial challenge from defeating the Island Kahuna. The Z-Crystals and the powers of the Totem Pokémon were created by Ultra Necrozma, as a result of losing its light.
List of Z-Crystals
A total of 35 Z-Crystals exist: 18 of them for each elemental type and 17 of them for specific Pokémon.
- In A Team-on-Team Tussle!, Team Rocket obtained the Darkinium Z. However, they had it attached to Meowth, which is the same way of how it works in the games.
- Z-Crystals have a number of weaknesses.
- In the anime, if a trainer uses a Z-Crystal before they start an Island Challenge, the Z-Crystal will disintegrate, as a sign of proof that the trainer isn't ready to use it.
- In the anime and the games, the Z-Crystal's power can only be used once when in battle.
- Both the trainer and Pokémon have to be in complete synchronization with each other to use the Z-Move of the required Z-Crystal.
- With Team Rocket's Darkinium Z, their crystal won't transfer its power, unless it's inside of a real Z-Ring instead of a fake one.
- However, it is unknown if a Z-Crystal's power can be activated without a Z-Ring, similar to a Key Stone and a Pokémon's Mega Stone seen in Pokémon Origins.
- In Mimikyu Unmasked! and Balloons, Brionne, and Belligerence!, if the Pokémon's power isn't strong enough to handle the power of a Z-Move of the required Z-Crystal, then the move won't work. The weakness can be overcome with training.
- In The Young Flame Strikes Back!, both the trainer and the Pokémon must have a level of trust between each other for the Z-Move to work, which is similar to Mega Evolution.