Unown is a flat, thin Pokémon shaped like an eye with appendages that make it resemble a letter or a punctuation mark. It is entirely black, except for its white sclera. All 26 alphabetic forms of Unown have fully open eyes while the two punctuation Unown have half-closed eyes. Though each of its forms has a counterpart in the Latin alphabet, Unown is said to resemble ancient writing and hieroglyphs. It is a mystery whether Unown predates or postdates written language, and therefore which one is based on the other.
Unown rarely leave their home dimension. Together, a large amount of them can produce enough psychic power to reshape reality based on the dreams of whoever summoned them.
Unown does not evolve.
|Gold and Silver||Inside Ruins of Alph||Common|
|Crystal||Inside Ruins of Alph||Common|
|Ruby and Sapphire||Trade||None|
|FireRed and LeafGreen||Inside Tanoby Chambers||Common|
|Diamond and Pearl||Solaceon Ruins||Common|
|HeartGold and SoulSilver||Inside Ruins of Alph||Common|
|Black and White||Trade||None|
|X and Y||Transfer||None|
|Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire||Mirage Cave (South of Route 107)||Common|
Side game locations
|Red Rescue Team & Blue Rescue Team||Unown Relic|
|Explorers of Time & Explorers of Darkness||Aegis Cave|
| Bold indicates this Pokémon receives STAB from this move.|
Italic indicates an evolved or alternate form of this Pokémon receives STAB from this move.
- It is widely known as one of the most "non-evolving" Pokémon ever made.
- The punctuation marks have droopy eyes, while the letters have normal eyes.
- Altogether, there are 28 known Unown.
- The "F" Unown is the main letter to appear in the websites.
- Their home dimension was the battle ground for Palkia and Dialga's fight; many of them can be seen fleeing from their fight in the beginning of the movie.
- The only move Unown can learn is Hidden Power.
- The Unown do not actually blink.
- Each Unown has a different meaning.
- The name, "Unown", is based on the word "Unknown".
- Pokémon.com Pokédex
- Legendary Pokémon data
- The Pokémon Database
- Pokémon Dream Pokédex data
- Psypokes Psydex data
|Generation II Pokémon|
|Other Pokémon: Kanto • Hoenn • Sinnoh • Unova • Kalos • Alola • Galar|