Snivy (Japanese: ツタージャ Tsutaaja) is the Grass-type Starter Pokémon of the Unova region, introduced in Generation V. Snivy's classification is the Grass Snake Pokémon. Like all of the previous Grass-type Starter Pokémon, Snivy has the ability, Overgrow. It is #001 in the Unova Pokédex and its evolutions are #002 Servine and #003 Serperior.
Snivy is a serpentine creature with a mainly green body, tan stomach and lower head, with the end of its tail being shaped like a leaf as large as its head. Though unlike most other snake-like creatures, Snivy sports arms and legs, being green and tan, respectively. The arms are quite plant-like, ending in three prongs that act like fingers. Its head is a tear drop shape with the top half being green and the bottom half, in front of the neck, being tan. Its eyes are in the intersection between the border of the green and tan parts of its head. Its eyes are surrounded by a yellow marking and are usually half closed. Near the bottom of its neck is a yellow collar which comes up on either side on its body, and comes together in the center of its back, making a line to the bottom of the leaf tail.
|Black and White||Starter Pokémon from Professor Juniper in Nuvema Town.||One|
|Black 2 and White 2||Starter Pokémon from Bianca in Aspertia City.||One|
|X and Y||Transfer||None|
|Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire||Receive from Professor Birch in Littleroot Town.||One|
| Bold indicates this Pokémon receives STAB from this move.|
Italic indicates an evolved or alternate form of this Pokémon receives STAB from this move.
The first Snivy seen was when Professor Juniper, introduced the starter Pokémon of Unova. When Trip arrived to pick his starter he chose Snivy, because of its confidence.
- Main article: Ash's Snivy
- Main article: Trip's Serperior
It battled Ash and Pikachu when they first came to Unova and won. It was later revealed that it evolved and is male proven by Ash's Snivy using Attract.
In Japanese, Snivy says taaja and is voiced by Megumi Hayashibara.
Trainers with a Snivy
- Some large snakes, such as pythons and anacondas, have vestigial legs, which are visible on the outside of them or on old snake skeletons that carry hips. Yet Snivy's legs seem to function. When Snivy is a Servine, its arms become shorter. And when it evolves into Serperior, it loses its legs completely and its arms become small and stubby.
- Snivy is the second Grass-type starter to stand on two legs, the other being Treecko.
- Snivy is also a playable character in PokéPark 2: Wonders Beyond; she's also a Princess and daughter of Queen Serperior.
- Snivy can be seen female in PokePark 2: Wonders Beyond and under the possession of Ash, however, it actually only has a 12.5% chance of being female.
- Snivy is the only non-mammalian Unova starter.
Snivy is based on the green vine snake.
Snivy's English name is the combination of the words "snake", and "ivy".
Names in other languages
Snivy's Japanese name, Tsutaja, is likely derived from ツタ tsuta, Japanese ivy, and 蛇 jaa, snake.
- Pokémon.com Pokédex
- Legendary Pokémon data
- The Pokémon Database
- Pokémon Dream Pokédex data
- Psypokes Psydex data
|Generation V Pokémon|
|Other Pokémon: Kanto • Johto • Hoenn • Sinnoh • Kalos • Alola • Galar|