Regional variant is a concept introduced in Generation VII. Some kinds of species of Pokémon had immigrated to another region a long time ago from their original region, and this caused them to change their appearance and their type due to the change of their habitat. These Pokémon with different appearance and type, however, only live in the region they migrated.
These Pokémon with original native forms.
These Pokémon with special forms are exclusive to Galar, which consist not only from Generation I, but from beyond the said generation. Widely known for having an exclusive evolved forms for the said region’s regional variant Pokémon.
- Before the concept of Regional Variants, the anime had Pokémon from the Orange Islands that look different than their normal forms.
- Some Pokémon, though not Regional Variants, have different forms depending on which region or location they live in. Some examples of these Pokémon are Arbok who changes its hood design, Mantyke who changes its back pattern, and Vivillon who changes its wing design.
- Unlike their normal form counterparts, regional variants don't have gender differences.
- Meowth is the only Pokémon to have two Regional Variants.
- Slowpoke is the only Pokémon to lose a type upon becoming a Regional Variant and not gain another to replace it.
- Slowbro is the only Pokémon who can Mega Evolve and has a Regional Variant.
- As Generation VII consists only of regional variant counterparts of Generation I Pokemon, Generation VIII’s regional variant counterparts of previous Pokemon expands to beyond Generation I, the first one being the Zigzagoon line from Generation III.
- Additionally, Generation VIII marks the first time for certain Pokemon’s regional variants to have exclusive evolved forms than their normal counterparts. Obstagoon of Galarian Zigzagoon Evolution Line is the first example.
- So far, there are no Bug, , or Water-type regional variants.
- The Dark-type and Ice-type are tied for the most regional variants, both having 8.
- Some regional variants are stated to be the original form of a Pokémon. For instance, Exeggutor are stated to have originated in Alola and Zigzagoon are stated to have originated in Galar.
- In Pokémon Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun, and Ultra Moon, when a Pokémon evolves into a Regional Variant, the background is green instead of blue. When an Egg hatched into a Regional Variant, the background is blue instead of yellow.
|Pokémon Transformations and forms|