Regional forms, also called Regional variants, is a concept introduced in Generation VII. Some species of Pokémon have migrated to other regions a long time ago from their region of origin; this has caused them to change their appearance and their type due to the change of environment. These Pokémon with different appearances and types, however, only live in the region they migrated to.
These Pokémon with special forms are exclusive to Galar, which consist not only from Generation I, but from beyond the said generation. They are widely known for having exclusively evolved forms for the said region's regional variant Pokémon.
- Jessie and James travel with a Kantonian talking Meowth.
- James received his Kantonian Weezing when it was a Koffing but has since released it to protect its pre-evolved form alongside Jessie's Arbox.
- Brock has a Kantonian Geodude that he had before traveling with Ash as he brings it with him or leaves at home. Also, Brock took in a Kantonain Vulpix from Suzie for a while before returning it to her.
- Ash caught a Kantonian Muk at a power plant in a city he and his friends were visiting. Also, Ash and Delia both share a Kantonian Mr. Mime that was nicknamed, Mimey.
- Misty owns a Johtonian Corsola that she caught at the Whirl Islands.
- James caught a Unovan Yamask during his time in Unova but gave it to his boss at Team Rocket HQ.
- Cilan caught a Unovan Stunfisk at a lake he and Ash were at in order to get some weed to help their poison Pokémon.
- Lillie received her Alolan Vulpix as an egg that she nicknamed Snowy when she hatched.
- Kiawe caught an Alolan Marowak by request when he decided to join him, after he return the Wela Crown that he stole.
- Goh caught a Kantonian Rattata and Farfetch at different times in Vermillion City.
- Ash caught a Galarian Farfetch'd during his third trip to Galar as he asked it to join him when he saw its fighting spirt.
- Goh evolved his Exeggcute into a Kantonian Exeggutor with a Leaf Stone that Professor Cerise's Yamper found then caught an Alolan Exeggutor during his first trip to Alola.
- Before the concept of Regional Variants, the anime had Pokémon from the Orange Islands that look different than their normal forms.
- Some Pokémon, though not Regional Variants, have different forms depending on which region or location they live in. Some examples of these Pokémon are Arbok who changes its hood design, Mantyke who changes its back pattern, and Vivillon who changes its wing design.
- Unlike their normal form counterparts, regional variants don't have gender differences.
- Meowth is the only Pokémon to have two Regional Variants.
- Slowpoke is the only Pokémon to lose a type upon becoming a Regional Variant and not gain another to replace it.
- Slowbro is the only Pokémon who can Mega Evolve and has a Regional Variant.
- As Generation VII consists only of regional variant counterparts of Generation I Pokémon, Generation VIII’s regional variant counterparts of previous Pokémon expands to beyond Generation I, e.g. the Zigzagoon line from Generation III.
- Additionally, Generation VIII marks the first time for certain Pokémon’s regional variants to have exclusive evolved forms than their normal counterparts. Obstagoon of Galarian Zigzagoon Evolution Line is the first example.
- So far, there are no Bug or Water-type regional variants.
- The Dark type has the most regional variants of any type, having 9 Pokémon.
- Some regional variants are stated to be the original form of a Pokémon. For instance, Exeggutor are stated to have originated in Alola and Zigzagoon are stated to have originated in Galar.
- In Pokémon Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun, and Ultra Moon, when a Pokémon evolves into a Regional Variant, the background is green instead of blue. When an Egg hatched into a Regional Variant, the background is blue instead of yellow.
- Exeggutor was the first Alolan Form Pokémon ever created.
- In fact, Game Freak loved it and it even inspired them to create all the other Alolan Forms.
- This also paved way for the concept of Galarian Forms in Pokémon Sword & Shield.
- Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres are the only Legendary Pokémon to have Regional Variants so far.
- So far, Slowpoke and its evolutions are the only Pokémon with a split evolution line to have regional variants.
|Pokémon Transformations and forms|