The Rare Candy appears in the majority of Pokémon games. It is used to increase the level of any Pokémon by 1, thus saving the trainer from having to battle to raise their Pokémon.They can earn the level attack that they can learn at that level also.
Each game carries a limited amount of Rare Candy. However, some players have used unorthodox methods to obtain as many as desired. This ranges from simple cheating (using an Action Replay or GameShark cheat device), to cloning. Although this is now not true, as in the 4th generation of games (Pearl and Diamond) Rare Candies can be bought from the Battle Tower but some people will still use the cheat to get Rare Candies even with being able to buy them. Rare Candy can also be obtained through the Ability Pickup.
In Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver Rare Candy is worth 48 Battle Points. You can also obtain them at the Pokéthlon for 2000 Athlete points or you can acquire it in the Sinnoh Field of the Poke-Walker accessory.
Rare Candy only provides just the number of Exp. points needed to advance to the next level. Therefore, in order to make the most of Rare Candy, it is best used just as a Pokémon levels up. Another important point to notice is that, while Rare Candy is an easier way to level up a Pokémon, it isn't gaining any Effort Value points, making the Pokémon somewhat weaker than a normal Pokémon would have been if was trained (assuming it could still get the points).
- Rare candy used on a Pokémon that has fainted will revive that Pokémon.
- In Generation VI you can buy a rare candy for 500 PokeMiles from the guy in Lumiose City's Pokemon center.
- Also obtainable via game sync for 250 PokeMiles.
- A third way to get a Rare Candy in Generation VI is at the left hand desk in the Battle Maison for 48 Battle Points.
- In Generation lll, if you don't have a pokemon and tried to use a rare candy, the message 'There is no pokemon' will pop-up.