A Pokémon Professor (Japanese: ポケモン博士 Pokémon Expert) is a veritable expert on the Pokémon World who are known for giving rookie Trainers their Starter Pokémon and they are responsible for the distribution of the Pokédex.
All of the Professors from the main Pokémon series are named after a plant, tree or shrub:
- Professor Oak
- Professor Elm
- Professor Ivy
- Professor Birch
- Professor Rowan
- Professor Juniper
- Professor Sycamore
- Professor Kukui
- Professor Magnolia
- Pokémon Go's Professor Willow
- Pokémon HOME's Professor Grand Oak
List of Pokémon Professors
- Professor Samuel Oak, from the Kanto region. His specialty is the study of the relationships between people and Pokémon.
- Professor Elm, from the Johto region. His specialty is the study of breeding patterns and interactions between Pokémon.
- Professor Birch, from the Hoenn region. His specialty is the study of Pokémon habitats in correlation with human existences.
- Professor Rowan, from the Sinnoh region. His specialty is the study of Pokémon evolutionary patterns.
- Professor Aurea Juniper, from the Unova region. Her specialty is the study of Pokémon origins in relation to mythology.
- Professor Augustine Sycamore, from the Kalos region. His specialty is the study of the new type of evolution: "Mega Evolution".
- Professor Kukui, from the Alola region. His specialty is the study of Pokémon moves and will sometimes get himself hit to study the moves.
- Professor Magnolia, from the Galar region. Her specialty is the study of the new type of Phenomenon: "Dynamax".
- Professor Willow, who rules the world of Pokémon GO.
- Professor Grand Oak, who needs your help to complete his Pokédex in Pokémon HOME.
- Professor Bellis, from the Pasio region. Her specialty is the study of the relationship between Pokémon and "Sync Stones", which are required for "Sync Moves".
- Professor Krane, who has only appeared in Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness (which takes place in the Orre region). Taking after his fathers studies, he specializes in the purification of Shadow Pokémon.
In the series' extensive medium, there are a variety of Pokémon Professors, many of which stem from the Pokémon anime and this is a comprehensive list of such professors, whose role is limited to being in the anime only.
- Professor Fuji created the genetic clone of Mewtwo on New Island.
- Professor Lund, the foremost expert in terms of Deoxys.
- Dr. Akihabara, credited with creating the Pokémon Transfer System and discovering the cyber-species of Porygon.
- Professor Felina Ivy is the professor in the Orange Islands. Her specialty study of the regional differences between Pokémon.
- Professor Cerise is the professor of the Cerise Laboratory in Kanto. His specialty is the study of the mysteries about the world of Pokémon.
Conversely, there are also Pokémon Professors whose role is limited to being featured in manga-related material. Such persons will be listed here.
- Professor Yanase Berlitz, whose research revolved around methods to control Legendary Pokémon and the mother of Platinum Berlitz, a Pokédex Holder and heir to the Berlitz Family throne. (Pokémon Adventures series only)
- Professor Berlitz is an associate and assistant to Professor Rowan (Pokémon Adventures series only)
- Although most Pokémon Professors are named after trees (Oak, Elm, Birch, etc.), the Pokémon Professors in games outside of the main series versions do not follow this pattern.
- Professor Augustine Sycamore and Professor Kukui are the only Professors that can be directly battled in-game.
- Professor Sycamore and Professor Birch (in the Remakes) are the only Professors that give the Trainer a starter Pokémon from a different region respectively:
- Professor Elm, Professor Juniper, Professor Sycamore and Professor Kukui appear to be the only four young Professors.