Pokémon the Series: Sun & Moon, known as Pocket Monsters: Sun & Moon (ポケットモンスター サン
In this new series, Ash arrives in the Alola region with his Pikachu to continue his quest to become a Pokémon Master. However, rather than traveling, Ash enrolls in the Pokémon School on Melemele Island and stays with new teacher Professor Kukui, along with new classmates Sophocles, Mallow, Lana, Kiawe, and Lillie. The series focuses on Ash's experiences with his new friends at the school, as well as his progress in the island challenge to collect Z-Crystals qualify as a Z-Move user.
The Japanese starting date was on November 17, 2016 and the ending date was on November 3, 2019. The English starting date was on March 17, 2017 and the ending date was on March 7, 2020. It was however previewed in the United Kingdom on November 20, 2016 and in the United States on December 5, 2016 as a sneak preview.
|This section is completely EMPTY!
Please help the Pokémon Wiki by expanding it.
- Pokémon the Series: Sun & Moon (season) (Season 20)
- Pokémon the Series: Sun & Moon - Ultra Adventures (Season 21)
- Pokémon the Series: Sun & Moon - Ultra Legends (Season 22)
In South Korea, the series is split into eight airing periods. They are:
- Team Rocket
- Team Skull
- Professor Kukui
- Professor Burnet
- Samson Oak
- Delia Ketchum
- Professor Oak
- Ash's Pikachu
- Ash's Rowlet
- Ash's Lycanroc (Dusk Form)
- Ash's Incineroar
- Ash's Naganadel (released)
- Ash's Melmetal
- Rotom Pokédex
- Lana's Primarina
- Lana's Eevee
- Sophocles' Togedemaru
- Sophocles' Vikavolt
- Kiawe's Charizard
- Kiawe's Turtonator
- Kiawe's Marowak (Alolan)
- Mallow's Tsareena
- Lillie's Vulpix (Alolan)
- Team Rocket's Meowth
- Jessie's Wobbuffet
- Jessie's Mimikyu (released)
- James' Mareanie (released)
- Gladion's Umbreon
- Gladion's Lycanroc (Midnight Form)
- Gladion's Silvally
- Mohn's Zoroark (with Gladion)
- Tapu Koko
- Tapu Lele
- Tapu Bulu
- Tapu Fini
- James gets hurt by an affectionate Pokémon that he owns, this time being the case with Mareanie.
- The returning Jigglypuff draws on the faces of people who fall asleep to its song.
- Team Rockets sometimes blasts off.
- Instead of blasting off, Team Rocket nearly always gets carried away by Bewear.
- Ever since its re-introducing as a one of the major cast and its reunion with its mother Bewear, Stufful will appear in front of Team Rocket out of nowhere first, signalling Bewear's incoming presence in a few seconds later.
- The series implements a new art style once again, this time more drastic and resulting in a complete redesign of every pre-existing character.
- The exaggerated expressions (especially the frightened, angry, enthusiastic, or sad faces) of the characters are strong references to JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.
- Every time Jessie is going to eat her malasada, it gets stolen by another Pokémon instead.
- Mallow's Bounsweet, and her evolutions, slap away Rowlet whenever it gets attracted by its' Sweet Scent.
- Ash's Litten uses Ember on Ash.
- Olivia tripping over and falling down.
- Lana making observations of Olivia right after she states the term "interesting".
- Lana making a joke regarding several Pokémon.
- Main article: Episode Guide
- Main article: Pokémon the Series: Sun & Moon/Title cards
- Official Japanese site (Sun & Moon)
- This is the only series in which:
- Ash does not catch the regional Water-Type and Normal-Type Pokémon. -Type bird Pokémon or a
- All of Ash's friends own a Pokémon that stays outside its Pokéball, and have all known each other before meeting Ash.
- None of the movies take place in the same region or timeline as the series, or introduce any Pokémon from an upcoming generation.
- None of the English opening songs of the English dub of the Pokémon anime to have their own full versions.
- Other main characters besides Ash participate in a League Conference.
- Ash loses to Team Rocket Members: Jessie, James, Meowth, and Wobbuffet in a battle.
- Ash wins the League Conference.
- Ash has a Pokémon evolve off-screen (Naganadel)
- Ash's Pokémon passed out after evolving (Incineroar)
- Ash leaves his regional team (barring Pikachu) with someone other than Professor Oak.
- Ash battles his rivals' anime counterparts (Gladion and Hau) in a League Conference since Pokemon: Master Quest.
- This is the first series in which:
- Ash returns to Kanto in the middle of a regional journey.
- Ash's outfit doesn't consist of a jacket or hoodie, gloves and long pants.
- Ash doesn't challenge Gyms.
- Ash doesn't have a Gym Leader as a traveling companion.
- Ash's main outfit does not consist of long pants, instead opting for shorts.
- Misty and the recurring Jigglypuff's first in-person appearances since Pokémon the Series: Ruby and Sapphire and Brock's first in-person appearance since Pokémon the Series: Diamond and Pearl.
- The first series since the original series in which an episode is banned in the English dub.
- All of Ash's regional team were befriended instead of battled when caught.
- In which a Starter Pokémon owned by one of Ash's companions (Lana) fully evolves before a starter owned by Ash in the same region. In this case, Lana's Primarina reaches its final stage before Ash's Incineroar.
- Ash catches a steel-type Pokémon, Mythical Pokémon, Ultra Beast, and genderless Pokémon.
- This is the last series:
- To feature Unshou Ishizuka as part of the Japanese voice cast before his passing in August 2018.
- To feature Shinji Miyazaki as composer for the background music.
- To feature the lyric "Pokémon" in the English opening song.
- To feature the text "To Be Continued" to appear at the end of the English episode.
- To feature the people saying "It's (Pokémon's name)!" during identifying each Pokémon in the English dub of "Who's That Pokémon?" segment.
- This is the first series where some characters (both Pokémon and Human) have somewhat passed on, which isn't during a movie.
- This series marks the longest amount of episodes Ash took to catch his sixth regional team member, when his previously-released Naganadel (formerly a Poipole) rejoined his team in SM141.
- Poison, Psychic, and Fairy type Z-Moves were not shown in the series.