| This article or section contains information about an upcoming subject|
The content may change dramatically as more information becomes available.
Please do not add unsourced speculation to this article.
Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield are the first new pair of games of Generation VIII. They take place in the Galar Region. The Starter Pokémon that will be available will be Grookey, Scorbunny, and Sobble.
- This is the very first original Pokémon mainline game release to be on a home console, as the Nintendo Switch is a hybrid of both home and handheld consoles.
- This the second pair of Pokémon core series games whose region is based on Europe, the first being X and Y (France).
- The logos appear to have a wolf's head on each of them. This may be a reference to the legend of the Black dog.
- Information on the these mainline games was revealed on February 27, 2019, also known as Pokémon Day around the world, as it was the date that the first Pokémon games hit store shelves in 1996.
- Pokémon Sword and Shield will be the first Pokémon games to be released in the Reiwa period.
- The chain store Target has revealed on their website that their stores will start selling the games on December 31st, 2019. (Sword and Shield are also available to preorder on Target's website).
- There have been some never information:
- Over 90 new Pokemon including legendary
- No regional forms or new megas
- Armoured Pokemon isn't true
- More locations than what is shown, with some key areas not appearing on the map
- The cites are bigger than they look. The London city up top has 3 districts but the map we're shown only shows one, you travel between them using a bus (similar to the taxi in Lumoise City)
- Below the starter town is the post game region. It's a rural mountainous area based on the highlands. (You have to go through the foggy forest to get there)
- There are two professors. One is an old man and the other is his daughter
- There is trainer customisation. Special clothing can be unlocked with small quests.
- The enemy team in this game are industrialists who want to wipe out the countryside to spread industry
- The trains have something similar to the battle Subway from Black & White. When travelling on the train you choose either "travel class" or "Battle class"
- You see some characters from the other games appear
- The game has many cut scenes but not as many as Sun & Moon
- Item similar to the Vs Seeker will let you re-battle trainers