A Pokémon egg is an egg that will hatch into a Pokémon. They were introduced in Generation II. A Pokémon egg can be obtained by breeding two Pokémon in the Day Care Center (leaving them in the daycare at the same time). Pokémon left in the daycare will have an egg if all of the following conditions are met:
- Same egg group (e.g. Lucario and Blaziken, both in the Humanshape egg group) or one of them is in the Ditto group (which, currently, is only Ditto itself).
- Different Genders
- Must not be in the No Eggs group (All Mythical and Legendary Pokémon, and the non-Legendary Pokémon Phione, Nidoqueen, Nidorina, Unown and Baby Pokémon)
Day Care Centers Locations
- In Johto, the Day Care Center is located at Route 34, near Goldenrod City.
- In Hoenn, the center is located at Route 117 between Mauville City and Verdanturf Town and at the Battle Resort (Omega Ruby/ Alpha Sapphire).
- In Sinnoh, the center is located in Solaceon Town.
- In Unova, the center is located on Route 3, near Striaton City.
- In Kalos, the center is located on Route 7, near Camphrier Town.
- In Alola, It is located in the Paniola Ranch.
- In Galar, it can be found both on Route 5 (Between Turffield and Hulbury) and Bridge Field (Wild Area).
- Ash received his Donphan from an egg that was given to him from a day care worker then hatched into a Phanpy. Also, Ash looked after a Larvitar as an egg that hatched and brought it home.
- May received her Glaceon as an egg that was given to her from a day care worker that hatched into an Eevee. Also, May looked after a Manaphy that hatched from its egg and helped bring it where it belongs.
- Brock received his Chansey as an egg that he won in a dress up contest then hatched into an Happiny.
- Dawn received her Quilava as an egg that she won against Lyra during an event at a festival to honor the Johto region then hatched into a Cyndaquil.
- Ash was given his Noivern as an egg by his Hawlucha when he discovered it while he was training then hatched into an Noibat.
- Lillie was given her Vulpix that would be nicknamed Snowy as an egg for a class assignment from Samson Oak then hatched.
- Although their eggs weren't shown, Misty received her Azurill from Tracey as an egg. Also, Iris was given Axew by Elder just after he was hatched from an egg. Prior to their captures, Brock's Marshtomp as a Mudkip, Ash's Greninja as a Froakie and Rowlet were hatched from eggs.
- In the games before Generation IV, Pokémon would hatch at level five instead of level one.
- In Kanto-based games in Generation I and Generation III, a Day Care Center can be located in Route 5, but only one Pokémon can be left at the Day Care. In Gold, Silver, Crystal, HeartGold, and SoulSilver, with Kanto being accessible, it is replaced with a house where the player can obtain the Cleanse Tag.
- Despite breeding and eggs not being available in Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee, there is still a 2D and 3D sprite for an egg in the files of the game and can be obtained by hacking. It acts similar to the Bad Egg.
- In PJ021, Professor Cerise explains that Pokémon that reside within the egg can get influenced by the outside world, as seen with the hypothetical Azurill singing the same song it heard from Jigglypuff.
- In the anime, each Pokémon egg design varies depending on the species it is, but in the game, they all look identical.
- Pokémon eggs, in the games, resemble Yoshi eggs.
- The Togepi egg received in Pokémon Gold and Silver Version, Pokémon Crystal Version, Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen Version, Pokémon Platinum Version and Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver Version was based off the anime, although in the anime it was discovered not received, as Misty got hers from an egg and was even addressed as a mysterious egg as well. Also, the Eevee egg received in Pokémon Sun and Moon and Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon games was also based off the anime as May received it from a Day Care worker.
- In the anime, Brock received his Happiny as an egg like the player in the Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Version and Pokémon Black and White Version 2 games, although how they got them was different as Brock got his from winning a dress up contest while the player got theirs from different Trainers. Also, in the anime, Ash received his Riolu as an egg like the player in the Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Version and Pokémon Platinum Version games, although Ash received his from Nurse Joy while the player got theirs from Riley.
- In the anime, some eggs can exhibit abilities even from inside the egg; Manaphy using Heart Swap on Team Rocket, and Riolu using Aura to communicate with Ash.