|This article or section contains information about an upcoming subject.
The content may change dramatically as more information becomes available.
Please do not add unsourced speculation to this article.
Pokémon Brilliant Diamond (ポケットモンスター ブリリアントダイヤモンド Pocket Monsters Brilliant Diamond) and Pokémon Shining Pearl (ポケットモンスター シャイニングパール Pocket Monsters Shining Pearl) are the paired Generation VIII games that are enhanced remakes of the fourth-generation titles Diamond and Pearl. The new games were revealed in a worldwide Pokémon Presents presentation on February 26, 2021. They are set to release on November 19, 2021.
Changes from Diamond and Pearl
- Reintroduction of the Fairy type, which was introduced in Generation VI.
- Sprites are now changed to 3D models, akin to that of Pokémon X and Y from Generation VI.
- They are the first pair of remakes to not have new clothing designs for the player characters or the rival.
- They are the first main series games to not be developed directly by Game Freak, although they are still overseeing the project and the games are still being directed by Junichi Masuda, the director of the original Pokémon Diamond and Pearl games.
- They are the first remakes to directly mimic the art style of the games they are based on, having more chibi-like character designs to resemble the sprites used in the original Pokémon Diamond and Pearl games. However, in-battle character designs are closer to Pokémon Sword and Shield.
- Just like the character sprites, the towns and routes are designed to have the same sense of scale as ones in the original games.
- They were announced on February 26, 2021, on Pokemon's 25th Anniversary (the original release of Pokémon Red and Green).