Pokémon (ポケットモンスター Pocket Monsters) is an ongoing animated show that follows the adventures of the series' main protagonist Ash Ketchum and his friends (Ash's Pikachu). The series is produced by Oriental Light & Magic Inc. in Japan. It premiered on TV Tokyo in Japan on April 1, 1997, and it later was dubbed in English in the United States and international television by 4Kids Entertainment until Season 9, when the dub transferred to TPCi. The anime is divided into series and storyline arcs, which are then dubbed into seasons which are divided and aired according to the English dub opening themes of each episode (with the exception of Seasons 1 through 6, which were divided and aired by 52 episode segments).
There are also various films, including specials not included in the official count and a number of spin-off series. As it is based on the Pokémon game series, the anime deals with a lot of the same material such as locations, Pokémon battles, Gym Leaders, and Badges.
It is officially referred to by TPCi as Pokémon the Series, or as "the Pokémon animated series" or "Pokémon animation".
Kanto and Orange Islands
- Main article: Pokémon the Series: The Beginning
- Main article: Pokémon the Series: Gold and Silver
- Main article: Pokémon the Series: Ruby and Sapphire
- Main article: Pokémon the Series: Diamond and Pearl
- Main article: Pokémon the Series: Black & White
- Main article: Pokémon the Series: XY and XYZ
- Main article: Pokémon the Series: Sun & Moon (series)
- Main article: Pokémon Journeys: The Series (series)
- Main article: Episode Guide
Differences from the main series games
- Main article: Differences from the games and the anime
- As of 2010, Pokémon is the fourth longest-running animated series behind The Simpsons, Arthur and South Park.
- In 2005, the series ranked 73rd in Channel 4's 100 Greatest Kid's TV Shows vote.