Pokémon the Series: Sword & Shield (Japanese: 新シリーズ Pocket Monsters: New Series), commonly referred to as the Sword & Shield series, the New Series, or simply Pokémon (2019), is the twenty-third season and seventh part of the anime series. It features all of the regions from the main-series games, including the Generation VIII games Pokémon Sword and Shield. This series shares its name with the original series when the anime first premiered in 1997. A new art style is implemented for the fourth series in a row.
This new series focuses on the two protagonists Ash Ketchum and Go, along with their partners Pikachu and Scorbunny. It also features a young girl named Koharu, who has a Yamper, and her father, Professor Sakuragi, who runs a laboratory in Vermilion City. It will feature all the regions that have appeared in the Pokémon games, from Kanto to Galar. Pokémon from each region will also appear.
The series premiered on November 17, 2019 in Japan.
- The design of the Japanese logo of the series is shared with MS020 and MS021, which were set in an alternate continuity to the main series.
- This makes it the first series logo to not have any shade of green, being completely blue instead. It is also the first one without any 3D perspective, having a flat design.
- This is the first series:
- To be set in more than two game-original Regions.
- Ash's outfit is not identical to the player character's outfit for Generation VIII since the Advanced Generation series.
- To not be entirely based around the corresponding generation of games.
- To not feature a game character as a major companion from the current generation.