That New Old Gang of Mine! (ただいま、はじめましてアローラ！, Tadaima, Hajimemashite Aroora!, I'm Back - Nice To Meet You, Alola!) is the 37th episode of Pokémon Journeys: The Series.
Ash and Goh have come to the Alola region. Ash goes around reuniting with Professor Kukui, his classmates from the Pokémon School he used to attend, as well as his Alolan Pokémon. But since this is Goh's first time meeting them all, he's a bit nervous, and during the welcoming party that's held for the two at the Pokémon School, Ash's classmate Kiawe challenges him to a battle, saying he'll make sure this guy is a fitting rival for Ash. Goh accepts the challenge.
Yamper finds a Leaf Stone, and Goh uses it to evolve his Exeggcute into an Exeggutor. Ash then brings up the fact about an Alolan Exeggutor to Goh, and he decides to go catch one. Upon arriving in Alola, Ash reunites with Professor Kukui, who notices Goh's Raboot and Sobble as he gets excited, as he has never seen them before. Ash asked about Professor Burnet as Professor Kukui tells him that she's at home, which he's understands. After arriving at the Professors house, Ash and Goh meet Professor Burnet, and her new child, Lei. Burnet then tells Ash he's a "big brother", although not blood-related. Ash tells Lei that he has tiny hands but gets a little rough with him but Professor Burnet tells him to stop.
Professor Burnet is pleased to meet Goh and then they head inside where Ash is instantly hugged by his Alolan Pokémon. Ash introduces his Pokémon to Goh as they hug him, Raboot, and Sobble. Burnet then informs the two that a welcome party is being held for them at the Pokémon School. Ash and Goh head off, but stop by the beach, where Pikachu, Raboot, and Sobble chase each other around. A Pyukumuku gets washed ashore, where Goh catches it, but then, the two chase after a Grubbin. Goh gets separated from Ash after mistaking an Alolan Dugtrio for the Grubbin, and falls into the sea, where he is then fished out by Lana. After being rescued, Goh introduces himself to Lana, but hearing his name has her realizing that he's Ash's friend. Back in the forest, Ash is still looking for Goh, but reunites with Rotom Dex. Ash asked Rotom about Goh but it explains to him that Lana found him and their at the Pokémon School waiting for him.
Over at the Pokémon School, Goh is introduced to Mallow and Sophocles. Sophocles is interested in his Rotom Phone and asks if he can dissect it, which freaks him out. The trio's Pokémon crowded around Goh's Pokémon, as Raboot is trying to comfort a terrified Sobble. Lana tells Goh that his Sobble is adorable while Mallow asked him if Ash isn't any trouble to him because of his unpredictable traits and tendencies to run off on his own. Confused and overwhelmed, Goh in thought hopes that Ash gets here soon. Kiawe then walks in with his Turtonator and Marowak. He introduces himself as Ash's rival and believes that Goh is his, too, he then challenges him to a battle. However, before they could battle, Ash and Rotom Dex arrive, and everybody eats. While eating, Ash tells Goh some of his friends dreams and ambitions. Lana then pulls out a letter from Lillie, who is close to finding her father.
Ash asked Kiawe for a battle but became surprised that he asked to battle Goh. Despite it, Ash understands Kiawe's reasons in wanting to battle Goh. Then, everyone heads out to the courtyard to watch Goh and Kiawe battle each other. During the battle, Goh stands up for himself to Kiawe as he tells him that he isn't Ash's rival but his friend and fellow research assistant. However, Goh forfeits the battle when Kiawe activates Inferno Overdrive, but Marowak saved him and Raboot. Then, Goh became surprised that Kiawe planned to have Marowak get him and Raboot to safety from the beginning as he wanted to see his strength. Also, Kiawe tells Goh to try keep Ash out of trouble and take care of him, which he accepts. When asked about his own goals and dreams, Goh explains to his new friends that his own goal is to catch every Pokémon in the world and work his way back to Mew, as they applauded him in his ambitions. Later, everyone is seen gathering around an island, where Goh catches an Alolan Exeggutor. Returning to Kanto, Goh brings out his Exeggutor as he and Ash admire the differences between them. Goh express interest in returning to Alola again, which Ash agrees to do one day.
- Who's That Pokémon?: Dugtrio (Alolan Form)
- The music for the "Who's That Pokémon?" is from Pokémon the Series: Sun & Moon segments.
- Mallow is now voiced by Emily Cramer in the dub as of this episode, who provides her with a somewhat higher-pitched voice.
- As of this episode, Goh:
- Has been to every currently-introduced region.
- Captured at least one Pokémon from each generation and region.
- Raboot's battle against Turtonator is a reference to the fable, The Tortoise and the Hare.
- Ash knows of Lei prior to his debut.
- Ash, Kukui and Burnet refer to each other as family, likely due to him spending an entire series at their home.
- This is also established at the final scene of the previous series, where Brunet is resting on a chair and hand in tummy expecting a baby.
- Like Ash asked Kiawe for a battle in the episode but the latter battles a friend of Ash's, Ash asked Dawn for a battle in "Piplup, Pansage and a Meeting of the Times!" but the latter battled a friend of Ash's.
- The way Pikachu jumps on Professor Kukui's shoulder when he is glad to see him again is similar to the way Pikachu jumped into Sandra's arms twice in "A Fan with a Plan" and also Misty's arms in "The Scheme Team" and it is also similar to the way Pikachu was excited to see May's Beautifly and May's Skitty again in "The Unbeatable Lightness of Seeing!" and it is also similar to the way Pikachu was excited to Korrina's Lucario again "A Festival Reunion!".
- The title has also a references to the characters:
- The New represents Goh, who is also Ash's research partner.
- The Old represents Mallow, Sophocles, Kiawe, and Lana, who are Ash's classmates
- Goh is introduced to Alola the same as Ash does:
- Both are introduced to Professor Kukui.
- Both met at the sea during Lana's fishing.
- Both have a friendly battle against Kiawe.
- Both are introduced to the Z-Move.
- At the end, Goh tell his dreams to Ash's classmates.
- The Rotom Phone refers to the Rotom Pokédex as a pure Electric-type Pokémon, despite the fact that a normal Rotom is an Electric/Ghost-type Pokémon.
Dub differences and mistakes
- In the dub, a part of Ash's dialogue at the table is muffled.
- In the original, Lana calls Goh "Mr. Soaked", while in the dub, she calls him "Mr. Mer-man".
|Pokémon Journeys: The Series (season)|
|Pokémon Master Journeys: The Series|