Before the competition starts, a party is held where contestants can interact with one another. Professor Kukui welcomes the participants and shows a video of Masked Royal explaining how the preliminary round works.
All of the 151 participating Trainers compete in a Battle Royale. Only 16 can advance into the next round.
All 16 participating Trainers compete in one on one matches. Only 8 advance to the Quarter-finals.
- Ash vs Faba (Victor: Ash)
- Ilima vs Guzma (Victor: Guzma)
- Hau vs Samson Oak (Victor: Hau)
- Mallow vs Lana (Victor: Lana)
- Sophocles vs Mina (Victor: Sophocles)
- Jessie vs James (Victor: James)
- Kiawe vs Acerola (Victor: Kiawe)
- Lillie vs Gladion (Victor: Gladion)
All 8 participating Trainers compete in one on one matches. Only 4 advance to the Semi-finals.
- Gladion vs James (Victor: Gladion)
- Ash vs Hau (Victor: Ash)
- Kiawe vs Sophocles (Victor: Kiawe)
- Guzma vs Lana (Victor: Guzma)
The last 4 remaining Trainers battle against each other in 2 on 2 matches. The remaining 2 Trainers advance to the finals.
- Kiawe vs Gladion (Victor: Gladion)
- Ash vs Guzma (Victor: Ash)
The final two Trainers face against each other in a 3 on 3 match. The winner will be crowned the first champion of Alola and be given the chance to battle the Masked Royal in an exhibition match.
- Ash vs Gladion (Victor: Ash)
The newly-crowned Champion and the Masked Royal, Kukui, face against each other in a full battle. The result of the battle will have no bearing on the Champion's status. After Kukui mask was ripped off due a shockwave from doing an Ultra Beast mission, Kukui battled as himself due to being exposed as the Masked Royal.
- Ash vs Kukui (Victor: Ash)
Trainers competing in the Manalo Conference
- Ash Ketchum: Winner
- Gladion: Runner-up
- Guzma: Top 4
- Kiawe: Top 4
- Lana: Top 8
- Sophocles: Top 8
- Hau: Top 8
- James: Top 8
- Lillie: Top 16
- Acerola: Top 16
- Jessie: Top 16
- Mina: Top 16
- Mallow: Top 16
- Samson Oak: Top 16
- Ilima: Top 16
- Faba: Top 16
- Kahili: Top 151
- Oluolu: Top 151
- Master fisherman: Top 151
- DJ Leo: Top 151
- Plumeria: Top 151
- Tupp: Top 151
- Zipp: Top 151
- Rapp: Top 151
- Mad Magmar: Top 151
- Mr. Electric: Top 151
- Pikala: Top 151
- Hiroki: Top 151
- Hiker: Top 151
- This is the first Pokémon League, where any of Ash's friends, the Team Rocket trio, another villainous team, and a Pokémon Professor have participated in.
- This is the only Pokémon League where:
- The usage of wild Pokémon is allowed.
- An exhibition battle is part of the ceremonies.
- Full Battles are not featured, although its only featured in the exhibition battle.
- Ash didn't have a full team of six with him, although he has a full team of six in the exhibition battle, after Naganadel rejoins him.
- Ash also has had more than one Pokémon evolve during the course of it.
- Every battle is shown, even if just partially.
- Badges aren't required to compete.
- This is the second Pokémon League, where Ash makes it to the finals, following the Lumiose Conference.
- Also like the Lumiose Conference, a disaster occurs during its League Awards ceremony.
- This tournament has 27 named contestants, more than any other Pokémon League
- The Manalo Conference having a total of 151 competitors could be a reference to the original 151 Pokémon of Generation I.
- This is the first actual Pokémon League where Ash has won, since the Orange League.
- The exhibition match against Professor Kukui is a reference to the Champion battle from Pokémon Sun and Moon, where Professor Kukui serves as the player's final opponent at the Alola Pokémon League. Also, Tapu Koko's participation in the battle could be a reference to the battle against it in the same games.