Items can be obtained in many different ways. For example:
- The player may find items inside Poké Ball-shaped containers, called "item balls", found in many locations.
- Items may appear as hidden items rather than contained in an item ball, which are usually not visible and can only be detected by the use of an Itemfinder/Dowsing Machine.
- Berries can be obtained via Berry trees.
- Some NPCs can give items to the player when interacted with.
- The player can buy items from NPCs, mostly in Poké Marts.
- Certain wild Pokémon have a chance to hold an item.
Items can be classified into various types according to their properties:
- Medical Items: Items that can be used to restore a Pokémon's HP/their move's PP or cure Status Effects.
- Vitamins: Items that raise one of a Pokémon's stats.
- Poké Balls: Used to catch Pokémon.
- Battle Items: Items that only have in-battle effect.
- Berries: Items that can be harvested and grown. Berries can be used to make Pokémon food such as Pokéblocks and Poffins. Most Berries can be used as held items.
- Evolution Items: Items that can be used/held by a Pokémon so that it can evolve.
- TMs, HMs and TRs: Used to teach a move to a Pokémon.
- Held items: Items whose purpose is to be held by a Pokémon. Their effects when held range from enhancing stats and moves to restoring HP.
- Valuable Items: Items that have no purpose other than to be sold for an amount of money. They are known in-game as "Treasures".
- Ingredients: Food items used exclusively in making curry.
- Key Items: Items that mostly can only be obtained ones and cannot be traded, and also items that are meant to be given to an NPC during the storyline. These items have their own pocket since Generation II.
- Main article: Bag
After obtaining an item, the player character would put the item into their Bag. Since Generation II, the Bag has different pockets that sort the items according to their types. As each items cannot be stored in the Bag in an infinite amount, the player cannot obtain an item if their Bag has the maximum amount of that item.