Grimmsnarl (オーロンゲ, Ooronge) is a Dark/Fairy-type Pokémon introduced in Generation VIII. It evolves from Morgrem and is the final form of Impidimp. It has a Gigantamax form known as Gigantamax Grimmsnarl.
Grimmsnarl is a large, muscular, humanoid Pokémon with light green ears, feet and stomach sides. It has dark purple hair on its head and partially its shoulders and legs. A red gem rests on its chest. In its mouth comes with two large fangs.
Its Gigantamax form is covered with hair, save for its head and gem, and becomes much slimmer and taller.
Grimmsnarl are extremely strong, able to overwhelm even Machamp by using their hair to boost their muscle power. The hair also doubles as tentacles to ensnare foes with.Grimmsnarl are said to make their homes deep within dark woodlands, venturing out in the dead of night to visit unlucky homes. They are thought to seek out the houses of those who are discontent with their lots in life and feast upon their despair and frustration.
Though Grimmsnarl return to their woodlands before sunrise, they are said to lash out viciously at those who sight them while feeding. Thus, children should not sneak out of the house late at night, unless they wish to risk attracting the ire of a feeding Grimmsnarl. It is said that after a Grimmsnarl visits a home, it will leave behind a telltale scattering of black hair. This is a sign for the home's inhabitant to make a change in their life to stop the Grimmsnarl from coming again.
Their Gigantamax form have rather flexible hair which can be deformed into drills on their legs to dig big holes. Like Blaziken, their Gigantamax form can leapfrog high buildings.
With the hair wrapped around its body helping to enhance its muscles, this Pokémon can overwhelm even Machamp.
Gigantamax: By transforming its leg hair, this Pokémon delivers power-packed drill kicks that can bore huge holes in Galar's terrain.
Its hairs work like muscle fibers. When its hairs unfurl, they latch on to opponents, ensnaring them as tentacles would.
Gigantamax: Gigantamax energy has caused more hair to sprout all over its body. With the added strength, it can jump over the world's tallest building.
By leveling up
|Bold indicates that this Pokémon receives STAB from this move.|
Italic indicates that an evolved or alternate form of this Pokémon receives STAB from this move.
|Grimmsnarl learns no moves via breeding.|
|Grimmsnarl learns no moves via tutoring.|
- Its line are the only Dark and Fairy-type Pokémon to be exclusively male.
- Its line is also the first male-only Pokémon introduced since Generation V.
- Grimmsnarl's line are the only Pokémon in the Fairy egg group to be exclusively male.
- Grimmsnarl and Hatterene can be seen as counterparts:
- Both Pokémon are only able to be one gender. Grimmsnarl can only be male while Hatterene can only be female.
- Both are based on creatures from mythology.
- Both of them are Fairy-type Pokémon that have the ability to Gigantamax and are the ace Pokémon of two different rivals introduced in their debut games (Hatterene is Bede's ace Pokémon while Grimmsnarl is Marnie's ace Pokémon).
- Their first forms first evolve at Level 32 while their second forms evolve at Level 42.
- Both Pokémon are known for having a large amount of hair covering their bodies.
- Both of them are in the Fairy egg group.
- Although its Gigantamax form can turn its leg hair into drills, it can't learn drill-based moves, like Horn Drill.
- Although its Gigantamax can jump over tall buildings, it can't learn Bounce.
Grimmsnarl is based on trolls and ogres. It may also take inspiration from the Oni, a Japanese yōkai that is often depicted as a demon, sometimes sporting large amounts of hair or wearing clothing made of furry animal hide. It may take inspiration from the Grendel, a monster in "Beowulf" who was known for its pure darkness and extreme strength. Judging by its signature move False Surrender and green skin, it might be based on the Green Knight from "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight".
Grimmsnarl comes from the words "grim", "grimm" (from the Brothers Grimm), "grimoire" (a type of spell book, hence the Fairy type), "Grímnismál" (a mythical poem), and "snarl".
|Generation VIII Pokémon|
|Other Pokémon: Kanto • Johto • Hoenn • Sinnoh • Unova • Kalos • Alola|