Generation VII (
81 new Pokémon were introduced in Pokémon Sun and Moon, however, more Pokémon were introduced in the following games, with 5 new Pokémon being introduced in Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon and the debut of the Mythical Pokémon Meltan and its evolution, Melmetal, in Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee!.
Generation VII introduced the regional variants, new forms of certain Pokémon that have adapted to an environment where they are not naturally accustomed. In Alola, they are knows as Alolan Forms.
The Rotom Pokédex is very rare, even in Alola. Rotom Dex can help with tasks and even has its own personality.
The Island Challenge is part of Alola's culture, it is the challenge of the region instead of the Gyms, the player character needs to travel through Alola and pass the trials and battle the Island Kahunas.
- Generation VII is the first generation to:
- Introduce brand-new species of Pokémon later on in the generation that were not present when the generation began.
- Not introduce a Pokémon that evolves through trading.
- Introduce a main female antagonist in the core series, Lusamine.
- Introduce Legendary Pokémon and Mythical Pokemon that are part of an evolutionary family.
- Remake a previous generation that had already been remade in another previous generation.
- Remove HMs, field moves and the Dowsing Machine, which were replaced with the PokéRide feature in Pokémon Sun and Moon and Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, and the Secret Technique, Partner Pokémon, and walking Pokémon in Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee!
- Have its core series games released in every year of the generation in all territories.
- Have aesthetic differences appear on the startup and title screens due to in-game actions, being the chosen gender of the mascot Pokémon and their current outfit.
- Have a late gender difference to an old Pokémon, in this case, the starter Eevee.
- Have a core series game that does not include every Pokémon introduced in previous generations, as of Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee!.
- Have all core series games only feature a regional Pokédex since Generation III. The National Dex is instead found on Pokémon Bank.
- Not have Pokédex entries of every Pokémon known at the time in its core series games.
- Introduce starter Pokémon whose Egg cycle is shorter than the others.
- Generation VII is so far the only generation that does not:
- Include Bicycles
- A new Pokémon with a gender difference
- A new Ice-type user
- Have all of the games from the present generation exclusive to one console (SM & USUM are on 3DS while LGPLGE are on the Nintendo Switch).
- A new Gym Leader (SM & USUM have trial captains and LGPLGE have the same Gym Leaders as Kanto.)
- Generation VII introduced the most:
- Genderless Pokémon, with a total of 29.
- Legendary Pokémon, with eleven, as well as the most Mythical Pokémon, with five.
- Amount of core series games, having a total of six; this surpasses the previous record of five held by Generations III and IV.
- It is currently the only 3D-era-based Pokémon Generation game series that isn't taken place in the regions based on certain European countries.
- It is the last generation to be released on a dedicated handheld system.