Generation VII (
81 new Pokémon were introduced in Pokémon Sun and Moon, however, more Pokémon were introduced in the following games, with 5 new Pokémon being introduced in Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon and the debut of the Mythical Pokémon Meltan and its evolution, Melmetal, in Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee!.
Generation VII introduced the regional variants, new forms of certain Pokémon that have adapted to an environment where they are not naturally accustomed. In Alola, they are knows as Alola Forms.
The Rotom Pokédex is very rare, even rare in Alola. Rotom Dex can help with tasks and even has its own personality.
The Island Challenge is part of Alola's culture, it is the challenge of the region instead of the Gyms, the player character needs to travel through Alola and pass the trials and battle the Island Kahunas.
- Generation VII is so far the only generation that does not:
- Include bicycles
- Include HM's or field moves
- A new Pokémon with a gender difference
- A Pokémon that evolves when it is traded
- A new Ice-type user
- Have all of the games from the present generation exclusive to one console (SM & USUM are on 3DS while LGPLGE are on the Nintendo Switch).
- A new Gym Leader (SM & USUM have trial captains and LGPLGE have the same Gym Leaders as Kanto.
- This is the first generation to have a late gender difference to an old Pokémon, in this case, the starter Eevee.
- It is currently the only 3D-era-based Pokémon Generation game series that isn’t taken place in the regions based on certain European countries.
- It is the last generation to be released on a dedicated handheld system.