Generation VI (
This generation bring 72 new kinds of Pokémon in the Kalos region with 8 new legendaries.
Chronologically, X, Y, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire take place in a different timeline compared to previous generations, due to the existence of Mega Evolution.
Generation VI comes with a new way of evolving known as Mega Evolution, which grants some Pokémon an extra stage of evolution. A special stone and item is required for this purpose. Several Pokémon from each generation can have this as evolution.
Pokémon games followed 2D movement with 4 directions up to Generation V. In generation VI, this feature is expanded to 8 directions of up, down, left, right, upper left, upper right, lower left, and lower right.
- It is the first generation to feature remakes in 3D.
- It is the first generation where Pokémon series move forward to the 3D-era in all of this generation’s games onwards.
- Generation VI introduced the least:
- Generation VI is the only generation that does not have:
- A Gym Leader or Elite Four member specializing in ghost-type Pokémon.
- A trio of Legendary Pokémon that aren't Version Mascot Pokémon.
- A new pure Electric-type Pokémon or a new pure Ground-type Pokémon.
- A new Dragon-type move.
- A new move for every type that existed at the time.
- A pseudo-legendary with two types.
- A new Pokémon that evolves with friendship.
- This is the first generation to have games made for mobile devices. This includes "Pokémon TCG Online", "Camp Pokémon", and the most well known mobile game, Pokémon GO.
- This is the first generation to drop the name "Version" from the name of its games.
- This is the first generation to have all starter Pokémon. In Pokémon X and Y, one gets the Kalos starters and the Kanto (Red, Green and Blue) starters. In Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, one gets the Hoenn, Sinnoh (Diamond and Pearl), Johto (Gold and Silver), and Unova (Black and White).
- Since the first generation, there have been third versions and as of Generation V, a sequel. However, unlike them, this generation doesn't feature a third version or sequel.
- The word filter also returns in this generation, however the word filter in this generation works the same as that on the Global Trading System in Generation V: if the word is contained, it is censored entirely, making it less easier to evade. There are exceptions to this however, such as the censor on "kill": the word "skill" does not get blocked by the censor. There are more words added to this filter, and the list of censored words depends on whether one has the version updates or not installed on the 3DS console. This filter also detects using the space character between letters in attempt to evade the filter. Some words however have other words that are contained within the same offending category that are not censored as well, and if trying to enter any of the words on the banlist, the game will tell "You can't enter that word". The banlist is mostly based on the Nintendo 3DS censors.