Pokémon Wiki
Advertisement
Pokémon Wiki

Gender is a mechanic introduced in Generation II that determines whether a Pokémon is a male or female in the Pokémon video games. Most Pokémon have even gender ratios. However, some Pokémon have a greater chance of being one gender than another, such as Blastoise which has a 87.5% chance of being male, but only a 12.5% chance of being female. However, there are some moves that will only work on Pokémon with a specific gender.

Differences

A male Pyroar (left) and a female Pyroar (right).

Some Pokémon have differences depending on whether they are male or female. This can be seen by either physical appearances known as Gender differences or can be seen through some movesets of Pokémon. Two Pokémon, Meowstic and Indeedee, are considered the same species of Pokémon but have different movesets and abilities depending on their gender.

Some Pokémon, while different species, are considered counterparts to each other due to their gender. One example of this is with Volbeat and Illumise who, despite being two different species of Pokémon, share many similar traits such as type, similar stat distribution as well as sharing the same Hidden Ability.

Evolution

Vespiquen, an evolution exclusive to female Combee.

Gender can be an influence for some Pokémon to evolve, as certain Pokémon will only evolve if they are a specific gender or will evolve differently depending on their gender and if certain conditions are met. One case of this can be observed with Combee which will only evolve into Vespiquen if it reaches Level 20 or above while also being female. This differs from male Combee, which can't evolve at all.

Genderless Pokémon

There are some Pokémon that have no gender, usually because they are made of lifeless materials like metal and clay, are alien in nature or their gender is simply undetermined. Most Legendary Pokémon do not have genders, with some exceptions such as Latias and Latios which are female and male, respectively.

Generation I

Generation I
Magnemite
Magneton
Voltorb
Electrode
Staryu
Starmie
Ditto
Porygon
Articuno
Zapdos
Moltres
Mewtwo
Mew

Generation II

Generation II
Unown
Porygon2
Raikou
Entei
Suicune
Lugia
Ho-Oh
Celebi

Generation III

Generation III
Shedinja
Lunatone
Solrock
Baltoy
Claydol
Beldum
Metang
Metagross
Regirock
Regice
Registeel
Kyogre
Groudon
Rayquaza
Jirachi
Deoxys

Generation IV

Generation IV
Bronzor
Bronzong
Magnezone
Porygon-Z
Rotom
Uxie
Mesprit
Azelf
Dialga
Palkia
Regigigas
Giratina
Phione
Manaphy
Darkrai
Shaymin
Arceus

Generation V

Generation V
Victini
Klink
Klang
Klinklang
Cryogonal
Golett
Golurk
Cobalion
Terrakion
Virizion
Reshiram
Zekrom
Kyurem
Keldeo
Meloetta
Genesect

Generation VI

Generation VI
Carbink
Xerneas
Yveltal
Zygarde
Diancie
Hoopa
Volcanion

Generation VII

Generation VII
Type: Null
Silvally
Minior
Dhelmise
Tapu Koko
Tapu Lele
Tapu Bulu
Tapu Fini
Cosmog
Cosmoem
Solgaleo
Lunala
Nihilego
Buzzwole
Pheromosa
Xurkitree
Celesteela
Kartana
Guzzlord
Necrozma
Magearna
Marshadow
Poipole
Naganadel
Stakataka
Blacephalon
Zeraora
Meltan
Melmetal

Generation VIII

Generation VIII
Sinistea
Polteageist
Falinks
Dracozolt
Arctozolt
Dracovish
Arctovish
Zacian
Zamazenta
Eternatus
Zarude

Trivia

  • Generation VII introduced the most Genderless Pokémon with 29.
  • Generation VI introduced the least Genderless Pokémon with 6.
  • Excluding alternate forms, the Psychic type has the most Genderless Pokémon, with 29.
    • In contrast to this, the Bug, Poison and Dark types all tie for the least Genderless Pokémon, each having 4.
  • Due to gender rules in certain games, strange occurrences may happen:
    • In Generation II, a female Pokémon can not have a maxed Attack stat (not including only Female Pokémon like Nidoqueen or Jynx).
    • In Generation II, a female Pokémon of a species with a gender ratio of 7 males to 1 female cannot be Shiny.
    • In Generation II, both of the Nidorans have their Gender Sign (♂ & ♀) shown twice.
    • In Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time and Explorers of Darkness, the genders of wild Pokémon depend on the number of floor you are on. If the number is odd, any Pokémon that can be male will be male. If the number is even, any Pokémon that can be female will be female.
    • Before Generation VI, there was a 1 in 3 chance that Azurill can change its gender upon evolving since its ratio was different from Marill (which is 50-50 male or female chance).

See also

Advertisement