|“||Even if you can't see your opponent, you can still sense their presence with your mind's eye.||”|
In ancient times, there were individuals who possessed the ability to sense and manipulate aura to perform valiant deeds. They were known as Aura guardians, and they would also educate those with the potential to wield the aura themselves. Throughout history, several guardians have disappeared, however, there are currently two individuals who possess the capabilities of aura guardians; Ash Ketchum and Riley. Whilst Riley trains to become an aura guardian himself, Ash chose to stick to his quest to become a Pokémon Master.
Abilities of Aura
Aura Guardians have the following abilities;
- Aura Vision: Acts as a second source of sight when their normal eyes are closed or they are blinded. It helps them navigate their surroundings even if fog obstructs their regular vision. The wielder can even decern an individual's aura from the surroundings as seen with the target appearing more vibrant than the surroundings.
- Aura Transference: The wielder transfers their aura to another being. However, it is considered fatal with the adverse side effect of losing their own life in the process.
- Projection: The wielders manipulate their aura to conjure up barriers and projectiles to help protect those around them or for self-defense.
- Time Flower Access: By interacting with one of the crystallized flora found in the kingdom of Rota, the wielders are able to view the memory stored in the flower.
- Spiritual Sensory: Using this power allows the wielders to pick up on the thoughts and emotions of any individual and anticipate their actions. It also can be used as a means of locating lost individuals or those in hiding. There are cases where even though in suspension, an individual can still transmit and pick up on wavelengths.
- Frequency resistance: By using its power, the wielder is able to protect themselves from external influences. However, if the frequency's force is greater than the wielder's own aura, the wielder will end up overwhelmed by the frequency.
- Empowerment: If the two auras are compatible, one's own strength grows stronger than on its own. In PJ039, the aura flows from the user in luminescent blue energy whilst powering-up an attack.
- Aura transmission: The wielder can transmit signals to those who are sensitive to said energy, including thoughts and memories. The receivers can also home in on the source.
- Drainage: When transferring their aura to another being, the wielder will become surrounded by a clear aura and goes through a painful phase in which they feel their life energy becoming weaker. After transferring their aura, the wielders would start to fade out of existence as their physical bodies begin to dissolve and eventually disappear.
- Corruption: When overcome by a negative force, the wielder's own aura turns a dark hue and then they fall under the influence of the source of the corruption. Alternatively, wielders could end up possessed by their own aura if they lack training and experience.
These individuals have been known to possess the power to sense and control Aura. So far, there are currently 2 active humans that possess the ability.
- Sir Aaron: Aura Guardian (Deceased)
- Lucario: Aura Guardian in training (Deceased)
- Ash Ketchum
- Aura Guardian (Deceased)
- Riolu: Inheritor of the aura
- Riley: Aura Guardian in training
- Riley's Lucario: Aura Guardian in training
- Korrina's Lucario
- Gurkinn's Lucario
- Professor Kukui's Lucario
- In Pokémon Ranger and the Kidnapped Riolu! Parts 1 and 2, a special Riolu made a bond with Ash after he saved it from Hunter J's client by communicating with him using its aura.
- Supposedly, auras are a paranormal belief that every life form gives of an emanation. This can be expressed by the flame/light energy surrounding the individual's body. Starting from the XY series, the aura waves were being depicted as shockwaves.
- Additionally, people who wouldn't sense aura like that of Lucario can still be exposed to the bursts of power as seen in The Aura Storm.
- Aura has mainly been depicted in a light shade of blue in the anime. However, if the energy is stronger than normal, it would be depicted as amber in color.
- As stated by Kellyn, all things have their own unique aura. However, there are cases where certain auras are similar as seen with Ash and Sir Aaron, or even compatible as seen with Ash and Riolu.
- As shown in Caring for a Mystery!, Ash's Riolu can still pick up on Ash's aura and send signals to him even inside the egg.