|“||I choose you!||”|
–Ash's catchphrase when calling out a Pokémon
Ash Ketchum is the main protagonist of the Pokémon Anime series. He is a 10-year-old Pokémon Trainer from Pallet Town in the Kanto region that has always dreamed of becoming a Pokémon Master. He is the first human character to be introduced in the series and is currently the only character shown to have been to all of the regions. Ash is the winner of the Orange League and is also the Alola region's Pokémon Champion, receiving the title after winning its first Pokémon League Conference.
As soon as he turned 10 years old, Ash rushed to Professor Oak's Laboratory to get his first Pokémon. Originally wanting to choose Squirtle, Ash ended up receiving the Pokémon Pikachu instead, as he arrived late (thus leaving him with no other Starters to choose from). At first, Pikachu did not obey Ash and kept running away, so Ash had to tie him up. After getting chased by a flock of Spearow later in the day thanks to Ash's recklessness, Ash attempted to save Pikachu from them. Seeing that Ash was so determined to help him, Pikachu protected Ash from the Spearow by electrocuting the entire flock (which was thanks to being struck by lightning at that exact moment and having his Electric-type move supercharged). From then on, Pikachu and Ash became best friends. As an unskilled trainer, Ash traveled with Misty and Brock throughout the Kanto region, capturing new Pokémon along the way.
Ash eventually managed to collect every badge from Kanto's Gym Leaders, allowing him to enter in the Indigo Plateau Conference. Since then, Ash has continued to travel, journeying through the various regions and making new friends such as Tracey, May, Max, Dawn, Iris, Cilan, Clemont, Bonnie, Serena, Lana, Kiawe, Lillie, Sophocles and Mallow. With each new region he traveled to, Ash continued to challenge all the Gym Leaders, entering Pokémon League Conferences and catching new Pokémon while still following his goal of becoming a Pokémon Master. Since this goal is so close to his heart, he sometimes acts a bit rash and rushes to the next battle he can as fast as possible without thinking.
While Ash was traveling, he was constantly pursued by Team Rocket's Jessie, James, and Meowth, who wanted his Pikachu. They chased him across all the regions so far, and are still chasing them to this day. Team Rocket never managed to capture Pikachu though, due to Ash's other Pokémon and friends helping him.
Ash is a skinny, slender young boy with dark black hair, slightly tan skin, and brown eyes with two distinctive lightning bolt-like markings underneath each one. Ash's pupils were not visible during the Indigo League and through the Diamond & Pearl series until the Best Wishes series made them more profound and distinguishable.
While Ash wears a few different outfits, he always wears a cap, which changes depending on the region he is in. Without a cap, Ash is shown to have a cowlick and a narrow, triangular, and edgy tuft of hair in the middle of his forehead that comes to a point on the right side.
The Beginning and Gold and Silver
In The Beginning, through to the Gold and Silver series, Ash wore a white and blue short-sleeved jacket with gold trim, a white collar and sleeves, a dark teal T-shirt, blue jeans with light blue cuffs, black and white sneakers with red dots, green fingerless gloves with light green borders, and a red and white cap with a green stylized "L".
Ruby and Sapphire
In the Ruby and Sapphire series, Ash appeared with new clothing. He wore a black and red cap with a green Poké Ball on it, a blue sleeveless hoodie with gold trim and a white hood, a black short sleeve undershirt with a red stripe, black fingerless gloves with light green borders, light blue jeans, and blue sneakers.
Diamond and Pearl
In the Diamond and Pearl series, Ash wore a black vest with a white collar and yellow stripe, a white short sleeved undershirt, blue cargo jeans, and black and red sneakers. He also wore a red cap with a blue Poké Ball print. Ash wore the same fingerless gloves he wore in the Advanced series.
Black & White
In the Black & White series, Ash wore a red and white hat with a blue Poké Ball print, a blue and white hooded jacket with a golden zipper, black baggy jeans, black fingerless gloves with red borders, and red high top sneakers.
XY and XYZ
In the XY and XYZ series, Ash wore a blue collared shirt with short sleeves and white trim, a black undershirt, darker blue jeans, a red and white hat, and red high top sneakers. Ash also wore the same fingerless gloves he wore in the Best Wishes series
Sun & Moon
In the Sun & Moon series, Ash wore a loose short-sleeved shirt with white and blue stripes, brown Capri pants with red outlines, baggy pockets and red folded sleeves at the edge, and blue sneakers. His cap was red, dark blue, and gray, and the Poké Ball design was white. Ash also kept a silver Z-Ring on his left wrist, which was later changed into a black Z-Power Ring. Unlike in other regions, Ash didn't wear fingerless gloves while he was in Alola.
In the Journeys series, Ash wears a blue vest with yellow outlines, a white undershirt with short sleeves and a red stripe, indigo shorts with black outlines, and black sneakers with blue highlights. He also wears a red cap with a black Poké Ball design formed into the letter C. During his second trip to Galar, Ash obtained a Dynamax Band, which is white with blue and red on the end of each side.
Ash is very determined to be a great Pokémon Trainer. Also, Ash is a very strong person and shows a lot of sympathy towards Pokémon, usually helping and befriending them through his long journey. As a result, Ash doesn't like Trainers who mistreat Pokémon, such as Damian and Shamus. Ash is even a role model for many people such as May, Dawn, N, Serena, Lillie and Goh. Also, Ash often astounds people with his skills and ability. Ash's strategy and tactics in battle is usually problem-solving, including thinking on his feet during special matches or that relate to the special abilities of Pokémon. Also, Ash even takes input from his friends and has always helped him whenever he was stuck in a jam.
Emotion wise, Ash is generally kind, brave, enthusiastic, passionate and adventurous. However, Ash can be stubborn, hot-headed, short-tempered, cocky, reckless, and impulsive at times. During his journey, Ash realized that some of those traits were affecting him as they had caused him to lose some of his Gym battles. Recognizing this, Ash trained himself for both his rematches and to help keep those parts of himself in check so they wouldn't not only affect him in battle again but also outside of it as well. Although those traits still remain, they have been shown to be less of a problem in Ash's Pokémon battles. Through his hard work, Ash has corrected the hot-headed, cocky, and impulsive parts of his personality, although he still shows them when Pokémon were being mistreated, when some of his friends tease him, and for various other reasons. Since then, Ash has demonstrated much greater maturity and level-headedness both in and out of battles. In addition, Ash has shown to give everyone around him good advice in order to better themselves and their goals. Ash also has a fascination with science and technology, even though he cannot understand most of it.
At times, Ash can have a hard time opening up, as he doesn't like to talk about his feelings and past. Ash also had difficult times when it comes to taking advice or criticism from others, especially from his friends, but that changed over time. While Ash has grown to be more open towards talking about his feelings and taking advice or criticism, he still has trouble opening up about his past sometimes. However, Ash does talk about the past with his friends and Pokémon whenever it comes up, if he needs someone to talk to, or if he feels like talking about it because it reflects a mistake of his. Despite being more open, Ash still shows his stubborn side at times, although it's mostly shown when he is depressed or upset.
Ash is also honest and a Trainer that keeps his word as he usually doesn't break promises to his friends, family, and Pokémon, although he does the same thing for ones that aren't his. Sometimes, Ash makes promises to himself as well, which was shown during his first Pokémon League competition where he decided to not repeat the same mistakes he made in future League competitions. This was shown again after the events of the Kalos crisis as Ash blamed himself for what happened when he unknowingly revealed one of his abilities to a leader of a villainous organization, which ended up putting himself and his Pokémon, Pikachu and his Kalos Pokémon, endanger. After that event, Ash decided to keep his special abilities, Aura and Bond Phenomenon, hidden from others, even from some of his friends and Pokémon family along with his mother. When question about the skills or powers he possesses and the mysteries he holds, Ash had shown to panic about that or somewhat denies what he can do, which was mainly shown with Gladion and Goh, as he only sees himself as an ordinary Trainer just on his journey to reach his goals. However, Ash does use his unique skills every once in awhile as he would use them to help Pokémon or his friends and for various other reasons.
Additionally, despite his confidence and zeal, Ash can be modest and humble as he sometimes gets embarrassed when complimented on his skills as a Trainer, but it doesn't happen very often. Also, Ash has shown an insecurities side as he does worry about what his friends that he travels or traveled with and his Pokémon family would think of him, shown when his mother would say embarrassing things about him in front of his friends or Pokémon and when he got embarrassed by Brock and Misty as they reminded him about how he got their badges for petty reasons over getting them in battle right in front of his classmates, but the reason for that is because he wants everyone around him to see him for the person they came to known instead of who he use to be. However, Ash has seen that his friends and his Pokémon don't care about who he use to be, which not only shows that they have great faith in him but also that their true friends towards him.
Ash's biggest fear is losing anyone he's really close to, especially his friends and family. However, Ash is afraid to lose his Pokémon family even more, due to Team Rocket's constant attempts to steal his Pokémon away from him. Similarly, Ash is afraid of putting everyone he cares about in danger. Ever since the time Pikachu temporarily had amnesia and sided with Team Rocket, Ash became afraid that his Pokémon might leave him the same way his partner and best friend almost did. Ash is also worried that he won't meet his Pokémon family's expectations or be strong enough for them. Because of his fears, Ash sometimes doubts his Pokémon potential, which also affects his faith and trust in them as well, especially when some of them display a unique kind of power in their strengths. In the XY series, Ash almost lost himself when he let his fears get to him but Serena reminded him of who he is and helped him get his act together. However, Ash does put his fears aside to help his Pokémon become stronger, which in turn helps him get over his fears altogether, albeit slowly. Because of that, Ash is often able to help Pokémon with a rare ability perfect their true power.
Ash has also been shown to have a strong sense of justice. He doesn't hesitate to assist Officer Jenny, the Pokémon Rangers, and the International Police in their missions. He has a hatred for evil organizations, such as Team Rocket, Team Aqua, Team Magma, Team Galactic, Team Plasma, Team Flare, and Team Skull. Due to having empathy for Pokémon, Ash also dislikes Pokémon Poachers such as Captain Crook, the Iron-Masked Marauder, Rico, and Hunter J. Ash regularly risks his own life to protect Pokémon and defeat criminals.
On the other side, Ash has a natural, inborn love for battling. He enjoys battling Gym Leaders and anyone who challenges him, especially Trainers with a similar zeal and passion as him. However, while Ash is passionate, a good battler, and has a lot of achievements under his belt, he loses most of the Pokémon Leagues he challenges. So far, Ash has only triumphed over the Orange League in the Orange Archipelago and the Manalo Conference in the Alola region. Despite his wins and losses, Ash knows he has a long way to go to make his dream a reality and continues traveling along with growing stronger to pursue it. Beside the Gym battles and Pokémon Leagues, Ash also enjoy competing in other special challenges and competitions such as the Battle Frontier in his home region Kanto, the Trials and Grand Trials in the Alola region, and the World Coronation Series.
Ash has quite a few abilities and skills. First and foremost is his athleticism, despite his young age, as Ash is very athletic and physically able. In fact, Ash was once even called a "human Mankey" because of his skill at climbing. Aside from climbing, Ash can run, swing on vines, carry heavy loads, and swim. Ash can also survive Pokémon attacks for a long period of time without taking too much damage, although it depends on the situation. Additionally, while Ash is a very talented battler, he also has some performing skills due to competing in a couple of Pokémon Contests along with watching May and Dawn performances. Likewise, Ash has good fishing skills. Also, Ash has some cooking skills and does have good knowledge about Pokémon, due to spending a lot of time around friends who can cook and have deep knowledge about them.
Much like an Aura Guardian, Ash has the ability to sense and control Aura. Also, Ash has shown the ability to use Bond Phenomenon, as showcased in the XY series with his Greninja. Ash even demonstrated great skills in utilizing Z-Moves, as shown in the Sun & Moon series. In addition, Ash even created his own Z-Crystal, Pikashunium Z, and performed an exclusive Z-Move with Pikachu known as 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt. Also, Ash even demonstrated some skills in utilizing Dynamax and Gigantamax, as shown in the Journey series. Unlike some Trainers, Ash is able to Gigantamax his Pikachu without having him return to his Poké Ball.
Much like Dawn, Ash sometimes displays the ability to understand the feelings of Pokémon, due to spending a lot of time around them. His connection with Pokémon is so great that he even sometimes displays the ability of sharing a connection with Mythical or Legendary Pokémon. This is because of Ash's compassion and his strong will power to protect them; instances of it were shown when Azelf chose to connect with Ash in the Diamond & Pearl series, Battle Dimension and Galactic Battles, and when Victini linked up with him in the movie Black/White Victini and Zekrom/Reshiram.
When Ash has a connection with Mythical or Legendary Pokémon, he can feel their pain, sense if they have been captured, and see their thoughts or memories. On the other side of the link, the Pokémon can appear to Ash in his dreams to ask him for help, show him impending danger, or as a way of asking him to do something for them, as shown with Azelf, Victini, Solgaleo, and Lunala. Ash has also shown the ability to hear what Legendary Pokémon are saying, shown with Solgaleo, Lunala, and Lugia. At times, Ash has shown the ability to sense the presence of Pokémon or people whenever any of them were nearby or if they're in danger.
One of Ash's other ability is that he can learn new things really fast as he picks it up right away, although there have been times that he needed to practice first before figuring it out. Also, during battle, Ash can come up with strategies real easily as he would use the environment to his advantages or find a flaw in his opponent's strategies.
Ash's battling tactics skill is, as like other Pokemon trainers, he used type advantages against his opponents, but sometimes he use his Pokemon that are in a type disadvantages. Ash's methods of battling can be overwhelming his opponents by a combination of moves using physical and special kinds of moves.
Since Delia is Ash's mother, they have a healthy, loving relationship, although it does run into rocky spots at times. Ash loves his mother very much and cares about her, but he gets annoyed when she embarrasses him, especially in the original series, where she constantly reminded him to change his underwear every single day. When Delia got kidnapped in The Spell of the Unown, Ash went through great lengths to get her back. Ash appreciates when his mother comments on how much he has grown as a person and as a Pokémon Trainer, and he is very grateful that his mother supports him by watching his Pokémon League battles and helping him get ready to go on another journey.
Ash and Professor Oak have a very strong bond. This is because Oak is a family friend and has known Ash since he was little. In fact, Ash even went to Professor Oak's summer camp when he was a young boy, which was also where he met his friend Serena. Aside from the strong, almost family bond that Ash and Oak share, he also respects him as a researcher and professor. Ash sometimes goes to Professor Oak for advice and calls him whenever he needs one of the Pokémon that he has kept in storage as he trusts him to look after his Pokémon family while he travels. Much like his mother, Ash also appreciates whenever Professor Oak gives him support, whether it's for a Pokémon League tournament or for his new journeys.
Ash and Gary have known each other since they were little, as they grew up together. Ash and Gary had a close friendship, but it ended when they became rivals and started their Pokémon journeys. Despite their rivalry, Ash and Gary still looked out for each other at times, showing that they were still friends. During their time in Johto, Ash and Gary were able to mend their friendship, as they grew close to one another again. Although Gary moved on to become a researcher like his grandfather and Ash continued his Pokémon journey, they remained friends, although they still have a bit of a friendly rivalry with each other. Ash gets annoyed when Gary teases him from time to time, but it's all in good fun.
When Ash first met Misty, they didn't get off on the right foot. Ash was forced to "borrow" Misty's bike to save his partners life, and he accidentally destroyed the vehicle with Pikachu's Thundershock attack. While Ash initially didn't want Misty around and disliked that she kept following him, at first, as she claims that she was going to follow him around until he paid her back for her accidentally destroyed bike, though her reasons changed. Although, Ash eventually changed his opinion about Misty, as she became a mentor to him and helped him become a great Pokémon Trainer. Despite their initial differences and their occasional arguments, Ash eventually grew to care for Misty and became best friends with her, although they do tease each other from time to time. They have each other's backs and would do anything for each other. However, while Ash and Misty are best friends, they sometimes can be competitive with each other as they have a little bit of a friendly rivalry with one another as they try to show each other up.
After their travels in Kanto, Ash and Misty traveled through the Orange Islands and Johto together. After their journey through Johto, Ash and Misty parted ways when she was forced to run the Cerulean Gym while her sisters went on an “around the world” cruise, which they had won as a prize in a beauty contest. After Misty got her bike back, as it was repaired by the Viridian City’s Nurse Joy and returned to her, Ash was happy that his friend would get to her hometown much faster. However, Misty became upset with him when he believed that the repayment for her bike was the reason she traveled with him in the first place. Ash was clueless when Misty ran out of the Pokémon Center, but Brock helped him see that she wanted to continue traveling with them. Finding that Misty was in trouble, Ash and Brock rushed to her defense. Also, Ash assured Misty that their journey together was never truly about repayment for her bike. After everything was resolved, Ash and Misty parted ways to go back to their hometowns.
Despite no longer traveling together, Ash and Misty, who decided to run the Cerulean Gym full time, maintained their strong friendship for one another. When Misty and Brock traveled to Alola, Ash was very pleased and enjoyed their time together, showing that their bond had not dwindled.
While Ash and Brock disagreed at first, they quickly became friends. Their bond soon became even stronger, resulting in them becoming best friends when they traveled the Kanto region together. When Brock stayed with Professor Ivy for a while, Ash understood his reasons. After Brock eventually returned, the two boys traveled together from Johto through Sinnoh. Through their travels, Ash grew to view Brock as a big brother figure and one of his mentors, as he would often give him helpful advice to better himself as a Trainer or help him see through his mistakes. Ash and Brock are always there for each other. They don't usually fight with one another, but whenever they have a small fallout, they make up pretty quickly. However, Ash and Brock almost lost their friendship when one of Team Rocket's tricks got out of hand but they mended it when the truth became clear. In addition, Ash and Brock sometimes practice battles together. They officially parted ways when their travels in Sinnoh ended, when Brock decided to become a Pokémon Doctor and Ash continued traveling to fulfill his ambitions. After going their separate ways, Ash and Brock maintained their lasting friendships with one another, as shown when he briefly traveled to the Alola region with Misty.
Ash and Tracey are pretty close friends and have a great respect for each other, as they traveled together through the Orange Islands. They hardly disagree with each other, but when they do, they make up pretty quickly. The two boys eventually parted ways when Tracey became Professor Oak's assistant, though they still maintain a strong friendship. While Ash continued traveling, the boys sometimes see each other when the latter comes back home to Pallet Town.
May is one of Ash's best friends. They traveled through Hoenn and the Battle Frontier together, helping each other along the way. When May chose to become a Pokémon Coordinator, Ash gave her his full support and helped her in any way he could. Ash became a mentor to May and guided her in the ways of a Pokémon Trainer. In fact, they trained together for Ash's battles and for May's contests. Sometimes, Ash and May have their fights, but they always make up in the end. Although they went their separate ways to continue making their dreams come true, their friendship remained intact, shown when they cross paths again in Sinnoh.
Ash and Max are best friends. They share a common love for Pokémon and liked to do their own things while May and Brock went shopping in towns or cities throughout Hoenn and the Battle Frontier. Ash acts like a big brother figure towards Max and protects him. Also, Ash didn't hardly had any fights with Max. When Max was going to return to Hoenn while May traveled through Johto, Ash promised him that when he became a Pokémon Trainer, they would have a battle together. Although, Ash knows his friendship with Max will remind till the end.
Ash shares an unbreakable friendship with Dawn. As a sign of their bond, they often high-five each other whenever something good happens for them. Ash and Dawn hardly butt heads as they do sometimes fight a little, although they easily make up. They also stand up for each other and have each other's backs. Similarly to what he did for May, Ash mentored Dawn in the ways of a Pokémon Trainer and helped her as a Pokémon Coordinator.
Ash also supported Dawn and cheered her on during her Contest, while she cheered him on during his Gym Battles, and she sometimes dressed up in a cheerleader outfit for him. Like with Brock, Ash and Dawn also practiced battles to help their skill levels. After they went their separate ways, Ash and Dawn remained best friends, shown when they saw each other again in Unova.
Ash and Iris are very good friends. They respect each others' skills and the love they have for Pokémon. Much like his relationship with Misty, however, Ash and Iris sometimes get into fights. Their fights are also a little more severe when compared to Ash's arguments with Misty as one of them almost caused them to lose their friendship when they both overreacted towards each other. Additionally, despite their friendship, Ash and Iris do tease each other from time to time, although he also gets annoyed when she calls him a kid. Much like Brock and Dawn, Ash and Iris trained for battles together on their journey. After arriving in Kanto, Ash and Iris went their separate ways to fulfill their dreams. However, they both knew they'd always be friends no matter where they went.
Ash and Cilan are close friends. Also, Ash greatly respects Cilan as a Pokémon Connoisseur and as a Gym Leader. Much like his relationship with Brock, Ash enjoys Cilan's cooking and doesn't usually fight with him but when they do, they make up right away. In addition, Ash would be helped by Cilan as he helps him see through his mistakes. Before going their separate ways, Ash was told by Cilan how much he learned from him. Pleased, Ash said he felt the same way about him. Although, Ash and Cilan friendship will remain no matter where their journeys take them.
Clemont is one of Ash's best friends. Like with Iris, they practiced battles with one another during their journey. While Ash respects Clemont as a Gym Leader, he also admires his inventions and cooking. Unlike some of his other friends, Ash and Clemont rarely fought. On the other side, Ash would be looked out by Clemont, as he would sometimes warn him about impending danger. After their journey concluded together, Ash went back home to resume his journey while Clemont stayed to run his gym with Bonnie right beside him. However, Ash and Clemont knew that they'll always be friends no matter where they are.
Ash and Bonnie are very good friends. They both have great love for Pokémon, and Ash cares for Bonnie like a little sister. Like with Max, Ash is protective of Bonnie and would do anything to keep her safe from danger. They both like to have fun with Pokémon and do related activities with them as well. Also, Ash and Bonnie hardly had any arguments. When their journey together ended, Ash and Bonnie went their separate ways as he went home to find out his next move as a Trainer while she stayed in Kalos alongside Clemont. Also, Ash knows he'll always be friends with Bonnie.
Serena is Ash's childhood friend, though they had an estranged relationship, due to being separated for many years. They first met many years ago at Professor Oak's summer camp, where Ash helps Serena with a knee injury that she received when she got spooked by a Poliwag and tripped. Ash and Serena were separated for many years until she eventually saw the boy on TV one day. Rushing to Santalune City to meet her savior, Serena was initially disappointed to find out that Ash didn't recognize her at first. When he planned to go to his next Gym, Ash asked Serena what she was going to do next but seeing that she was unsure he asked her if she wanted to travel with him and the group, an offer that she happily accepted. However, after being shown of the handkerchief he used on her back at childhood, Ash remembered meeting Serena when he was little, calling her the "girl with the straw hat." Although their friendship was mended, Ash relationship with Serena grew to a close friendship as he would give her helpful advice and supported her during their long journey through Kalos. However, Ash was given the same thing from Serena in return.
Ash was clueless to Serena's very strong crush on him during their journey, which she never denied her feelings when asked or confronted as she gets initially embarrassed and tries to keep a secret. Similar to his relationship with Dawn, Ash hardly had any disagreements with Serena or butt heads with her. Although, they had one fallout with each other when Ash snapped at Serena for not understanding his feelings and for getting in too much of his business, after losing one of his gym battles. However, after realizing that she was just trying to help, Ash felt guilty for being so hard on Serena then showed her how truly sorry he was for hurting her by thanking her for talking and knocking, due to being thrown a couple of snowballs, some sense into him. Before going their separate ways, Ash was pleased when Serena said she was glad that she came with him and that he was gonna be like the person she grows into the next time they see each other. However, Ash became stunned when Serena leaned forward and kissed him that shocked all their friends. Also, Ash knows his friendship with Serena will remain strong even when they are apart.
Ash and Lana share a close friendship since they were classmates at the Pokémon School in Alola. However, although they're friends, Ash gets annoyed with Lana's jokes at times but never hardly had any disagreements with her. During Ash's time in Alola, he and Lana went on adventures together, although they were sometimes joined by Mallow. Ash and Lana would also help each other in various tasks or provide assistance whenever their Pokémon were separated from them. However, Ash and Lana went their separate ways as he decided to return home to continue his journey while she stayed in Alola to go fishing with her dad. Although, they remained friends until the end.
Ash is close friends with Kiawe. They were classmates and training partners for Pokémon battles at the Pokémon School in Alola. While they're usually on good terms, Ash and Kiawe also share a friendly rivalry with each other. Much like how he was with Misty, Ash is also competitive with Kiawe from time to time as they do sometimes argue but they get over it right away. Despite their rivalry and competitiveness, the two boys are always ready to lend a hand to each other. Ash and Kiawe eventually went their separate ways as he decided to go back home to resume his journey while the latter stayed in Alola to resume his Island Challenge. Despite being apart, Ash and Kiawe both knew that they'll always friends.
Ash and Lillie are best friends as they were classmates at the Pokémon School. During their time in Alola, they were often there to help cheer each other up whenever one of them was feeling down. Like with Max and Bonnie, Ash would go through great lengths to protect Lillie from danger. Ash was a big help for Lillie as he never gave up on her and helped her with many things, including her fear of touching Pokémon. Also, Ash helped Lillie and Gladion save their friends and Lusamine from Ultra Space, earning her appreciation even more. In addition, Ash and Lillie share a lot of things in common, including a strong love for Pokémon, excitement about going on adventures, meeting new Pokémon, and a willingness to help others. Like what he did for Serena, Ash gave Lillie good advice as he helped her perfect her Z-Moves, although she didn't get what meant at first, and supported her. They both didn't have any disagreements as Ash would stand up for Lillie and she has done the same for him. Ash and Lillie parted ways when he decided to continue his own journey while she left to go on a journey to find her long lost father. However, they gave each other thanks for everything they did for one another. Despite being apart, Ash knows his friendship with Lillie will always be with him.
Sophocles is one of Ash's closest friends since they were former classmates at the Pokémon School. They encourage and support each other as they provide assistance to each other whenever they need it. Although, Ash and Sophocles could disagree at times but get over it quickly. Like how he acted with Clemont, Ash is impressed with Sophocles' know how and his inventions. Ash and Sophocles parted ways when he decided to return to Kanto in order to resume his journey and the latter left for Hoenn. However, Ash and Sophocles both knew that their friendship will always be there no matter where they are.
Ash and Mallow are close friends since they were also classmates at the Pokémon School. Like Brock and Cilan, Ash is impressed with Mallow's cooking. During their time in Alola, Ash and Mallow went on adventures together, sometimes they had Lana accompany them. They are often there to support and assist each other whenever they need it. Ash and Mallow hardly ever had any arguments with each other. They went their separate ways when Ash decided to continue his journey while Mallow stayed in Alola to make her family restaurant a place for both people and Pokémon. However, they remained friends even thou their apart.
While attending the Pokémon School, Ash resided at Professor Kukui's house. The two have an extremely strong, almost family bond. In fact, their relationship is almost like father and son, since they spent a lot of time together outside of the Pokémon School and enjoy each others' company. They even have a student/mentor relationship with each other that works two ways, since Kukui is his teacher in the school and Ash became a mentor to him when he unexpectedly ended up going back in time to when he was five years old. In the Poké Problem segment called A Timeless Encounter, Professor Burnet commented on how Ash and Kukui were like brothers when they ate their food.
Also, Ash admires Kukui's alter ego, the Masked Royal, and gets fired up when watching his matches on TV with his Pokémon and Professor Burnet since they are also huge fans of his. After battling him twice and being defeated both times, Ash was told by the Masked Royal that his Incineroar and Ash's Incineroar, during his time as a Torracat, were officially rivals. When fighting as the Double Royals, their battling coordination and teamwork were so good that James said, "Those two are so in sync, you'll never know it's their first time." After the grudge match against The Revengers, Ash asked the Masked Royal to have a final battle with him someday, which he accepted. After finding out his identity, Ash was shocked that the Masked Royal and Professor Kukui were the same person at first. However, Ash became excited about it since he didn't care about how long Professor Kukui kept his secret. Ash and Kukui eventually had to part ways when he decided to return to Kanto, but their bond remained intact. Also, like with Professor Oak, Ash trusts Professor Kukui to look after his Pokémon alongside his wife.
Ever since Professor Burnet married Kukui and moved in with Ash, she has acted as a mother figure to the boy. They are both huge fans of the Masked Royal, although they were both clueless at first that it was actually Professor Kukui along with Ash's classmates. However, Ash, his classmates, and Professor Burnet eventually found out about the Masked Royal's identity, which ended up just making them admire him even more. Before going back home to resume his journey, Ash thanked Professor Burnet for everything, knowing they'd always be friends no matter the distance. Also, Ash not only knows his Pokémon are in good hands with Professor Burnet alongside her husband but will also consider her another mother.
Ash first met Goh when they jumped on Lugia at the same time. During and after their adventure with the Legendary Pokémon, the two boys found out they had a lot in common and instantly formed a very strong friendship with each other. Ash would help Goh whenever he needed it and he would do the same for him. Despite their friendship, Ash and Goh at times do clash but do makeup in the end. Much like how he was with Misty and Kiawe, Ash can be competitive with Goh at times. Ash even helps Goh understand that some of his traits need fixing since he shares some of the same traits that he once had. Like he did for May and Dawn, Ash acts like a mentor to Goh and helps him in various ways as a Pokémon Trainer. Also, similar to what Brock and Cilan did for him, Ash helps Goh see through his mistakes from time to time.
Pikachu is Ash's starter Pokémon, partner, and best friend; even though they had a rough start at first, they are nearly inseparable. Also, Pikachu has always been on Ash's side during his journey. In addition, Ash always allows Pikachu to ride on his head or shoulder during his journey, since he knows that his partner doesn't like to stay inside his Poké Ball. They protect each other from trouble and would stand up for each other. A lot of people see that they're perfect partners. Despite their friendship, Ash does butt heads with Pikachu at times but they don't stay that way for long. Whenever Pikachu fell victim to someone's control, Ash would always help him and give him enough encouragement to break free from it, although he was successful a couple of times but there have been times the control would be too strong for him to break free from but he never gives up on getting through to his best friend no matter how tough the hold was on him. Also, when the other way around occurs, Ash was given the strength to break free from someone's control when he would hear Pikachu's voice calling out to him, which shows how strong their friendship for one another is.
Rotom is not only a companion to Ash who gives information about Pokémon and advice during his time in Alola but is also his very good friend. Whenever it was needed, Ash would go to Rotom for help and it would go to him for the same reason. Ash and Rotom went their separate ways when he decided to continue his journey while the latter stay in Alola to work for the Aether Foundation. Despite being apart, Ash knows his friendship with Rotom will remain no matter how far they are from each other.
When he was a little boy, Ash went looking for Pokémon in the forest. However, Ash got lost and it was frightened to a point of tears. When it started to rain, Ash was forced to take shelter under a hollow tree. While under the tree, Ash noticed a group of Pokémon who were also seeking shelter from the rain. Ash invited the Pokémon inside the tree where they kept him safe and warm. This made Ash so happy that he wondered how much he wanted to become a trainer to travel the entire world with his Pokémon friends.
Later on, Ash shows his mother a poster of Professor Oak’s Pokémon summer camp that he wanted to go to and she happily signed him up. However, Ash overslept and miss the summer camp. After that, Ash went home and hope he would go next time.
Sometime later, Ash enrolled in another one of Professor Oak's Pokémon Summer Camp where he would learn the basics of Pokémon and being a Trainer when he gets older. While looking for a Poliwag, Ash happened upon a young girl and fellow camper named Serena who got lost in the forest while looking for her group. Seeing that she injured her knee when a Poliwag startled her, Ash wrapped a clean blue handkerchief with a Poké Ball on each corner around her wounded knee to brace it. Ash lent her his hand and helped her up when she couldn't get herself up due to the pain. While doing so, Ash even hugged her then he guided her out of the forest and took her back to the campsite.
At some point before starting their journeys, Ash was friends with Gary Oak, Professor Oak's grandson, as they would go to the movies together when they were younger. Then one day, Ash and Gary both fished out a Poké Ball on both of their fishing lines. After arguing about who keeps it, Ash and Gary both broke the Poké Ball into two pieces where they kept one half of it as a reminder of that day.
- Main article: Ash Ketchum/The Beginning
Gold and Silver
- Main article: Ash Ketchum/Gold and Silver
Ruby and Sapphire
- Main article: Ash Ketchum/Ruby and Sapphire
Diamond and Pearl
- Main article: Ash Ketchum/Diamond and Pearl
Black & White
- Main article: Ash Ketchum/Black & White
XY and XYZ
- Main article: Ash Ketchum/XY and XYZ
Sun & Moon
- Main article: Ash Ketchum/Sun & Moon
- Main article: Ash Ketchum/Journeys
I Choose You!, The Power of Us and Coco
- Main article: Ash Ketchum (MS020)
The Electric Tale of Pikachu
- Main article: Ash Ketchum (ETP)
Ash & Pikachu
- Main article: Ash Ketchum (A&P)
Pocket Monsters Diamond & Pearl
- Main article: Ash Ketchum (D&P)
Magical Pokémon Journey
- Main article: Ash Ketchum (MPJ)
With Professor Oak
Tauros (x30) ♂
With Professor Kukui and Burnet
At the Cerise Laboratory
Genesect (Douse Drive)
- Boulder Badge
- Cascade Badge
- Thunder Badge
- Marsh Badge
- Rainbow Badge
- Soul Badge
- Volcano Badge
- Earth Badge
- Bug Badge
- Cliff Badge
- Rumble Badge
- Plant Badge
- Voltage Badge
- Fairy Badge
- Psychic Badge
- Iceberg Badge
Kanto Battle Frontier
Alola Island Challenges
- Verdant Cavern Trial (Normalium Z)
- Melemele Island Grand Trial (Electrium Z/Pikashunium Z)
- Brooklet Hill Trial (assisted Lana; but he did not receive a Z-Crystal)
- Lush Jungle Trial (Grassium Z)
- Akala Island Grand Trial (Rockium Z)
- Thrifty Megamart Trial (did not receive Z-Crystal)
- Ula'ula Island Grand Trial (Lycanium Z)
- Poni Island Grand Trial (Steelium Z)
- Celebi's time-traveling Trial (Firium Z)
World Coronation Series
- Normal Class Ranks : 3,763 (PJ018), 1,512 (PJ020), 1,022 (PJ025)
- Super Class Ranks : 921 (PJ025), 901 (PJ030)
Pokémon League Status
- Indigo Plateau Conference (Indigo League) Loses to Ritchie: Top 16 (Eighth-Finals)
- Silver Conference (Johto League) Loses to Harrison: Top 8 (Quarter-Finals)
- Ever Grande Conference (Hoenn League) Loses to Tyson: Top 8 (Quarter-Finals)
- Lily of the Valley Conference (Sinnoh League) Loses to Tobias: Top 4 (Semi-Finals)
- Vertress Conference (Unova League) Loses to Cameron: Top 8 (Quarter-Finals)
- Lumiose Conference (Kalos League) Loses to Alain: Runner-up (Finals)
- Manalo Conference (Alola League) Defeats Gladion: Champion (Finals)
Pokémon Championship Battles
- Orange League: Champion
- Kanto Battle Frontier: Champion
- Bug-Catching Contest: Champion
- Extreme Pokémon race: Champion
- Big P Pokémon race: Champion
- P1 Grand Prix: Champion
- Pokémon balloon race: Champion with Misty and Brock
- Pokémon Contests
- Hearthome City Tag Battle Competition: Champion with Paul
- Hearthome Collection Contest: Runner-up
- Pokémon Summer Academy Triathlon: Winner
- Pokémon Swap Meet Tauros-Battling competition: Champion
- Fire and Rescue Grand Prix: Unknown
- Grass tournament: Runner-up
- Pokémon Orienteering: Unknown
- Pokémon Dress-Up contest: Runner-up
- Tour de Alto Mare: Unknown
- Whirl Cup: Top 16
- Seaking Catching Day: Unknown
- Hoenn PokéRinger - Crossgate Town: Champion
- Sinnoh PokéRinger - Squallville: Champion
- Rota tournament: Champion
- Sumo conference: Champion
- Twinleaf Festival Battle tournament: Champion
- Sinnoh Pokéathlon Tournament: Runner-up
- Pokémon ping-pong tournament: Top 32
- Club Battle: Runner-up
- Wishing Bell Festival Contest: Runner-up
- Clubsplosion: Top 4
- Pokémon World Tournament Junior Cup: Runner-up
- Marine Cup tournament: Winner
- Scalchop King competition: Disqualified due to Oshawott's shell being broken
- Grand Harvest Festival Pokémon Sumo tournament: Winner
- Rhyhorn Race: No winner
- Pokémon Summer Camp: Winner with Clemont, Bonnie, and Serena
- Pokémon Sky Relay: Runner-up
- Pokémon Pancake Race: Runner-up
- Charjabug Race: Winner with Sophocles and Kiawe
- Pokémon Sled Jump Games: Unknown
- Kantonian Gym: Winner
- Manalo Conference (Exhibition Match) Defeats Professor Kukui: Winner
- Battle Frontier flute cup tournament: Winner
- Pokémon Iceberg Race: No winner
- World Coronation Series Battle Festival: Winner
- Honor of Kalos medal
- Veronica Taylor (Season 1 - 8, "Mewtwo Strikes Back" -"Lucario and the Mystery of Mew", "A Sneak Peek at Pokémon", "Mewtwo Returns") (4Kids)
- Sarah Natochenny (Season 9 - present; "Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea" - present) (PUSA/DuArt/Iyuno & Goldcrest)
- Kayzie Rogers ("The Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon" first dub only)
- Dutch: Christa Lips (Season 1 - present)
- Caroline Combrinck (Season 1 - 3; 12 - 19)
- Veronika Neugebauer (Season 4 - 11, dec.)
- Felix Mayer (Season 20 - present)
- Italian: Davide Garbolino
- Icelandic: Grímur Gíslason
- Swedish: Dick Eriksson
- Greek: Voula Kosta
- Arabic: Bouthayna Shaya (Season 1 - 2)
- Brazilian Portuguese:
- Fábio Lucindo (Season 1 - 18)
- Charles Emmanuel (Season 19 - present)
- Latin America:
- Gabriel Ramos ("Pokémon - I Choose You!" - "Ghoul Daze!"; "Get Your Rotom Running!" - "Gotta Get a Gible!")
- Irwin Daayán ("One Team, Two Team, Red Team, Blue Team!" - "Sleepless In Pre-Battle!")
- Rommy Mendoza ("Strategy Begins at Home!", young)
- Miguel Ángel Leal ("Regaining the Home Advantage!" - present)
- Pablo Gandolfo ("Jirachi: Wish Maker" and "Destiny Deoxys")
- Alan Fernando Velázquez ("Arceus and the Jewel of Life")
- Danish: Mathias Klenske
- European Spanish:
- Adolfo Moreno
- Rafael Alonso Naranjo Jr. ("The Spell of the Unown" and "Mewtwo Returns")
- Aurelien Ringelheim
- Charles Pestel
- Sebastien Redin
- Prasad Barve (Cartoon Network dub)
- Nachiket Dighe (Hungama dub)
- Hanna Kinder-Kiss
- Grzegorz Drojewski (Season 10)
- Yonatan Magon
- Daniel Magon
Ash's Japanese name, Satoshi, comes from Satoshi Tajiri, the creator of Pokémon. Ash comes from the middle option of default sample names from the in-game player file configuration screens at the start of the journey (which is the option where Satoshi was listed in the original Japanese game) and his last name, Ketchum, comes from the phrase "Gotta catch 'em all".
- Ash's original Japanese name is :Satoshi" and he was named after and based on Satoshi Tajiri, the creator of Pokémon.
- In the 20th Pokémon movie as well as previously in the anime, Ash's birthdate is confirmed to be the same day he began his journey.
- On a related note, Ash is still considered 10 years old in promotional materials as well as the first episode of Black & White (dub only)despite the episode "Best Wishes Until We Meet Again!" strongly implying that at least a full year had passed since his time in Johto. Also, in the "Pikachu & Pichu" short, which aired at least two full series before Best Wishes, it is stated a full year has passed since Ash and Pikachu first met then, as well. Though he is still officially "10", this would make Ash chronologically around 12, or, around 12-13. Takeshi Shudo also wrote the screenplay for the movie "The Spell of the Unown", which the Pikachu & Pichu short was originally shown with.
- Ash is the only human character to appear in every episode and season.
- Ash has a total of 49 Pokémon including different evolutionary forms, 78 if all Tauros are included.
- Ash has caught at least one of every type of Pokémon.
- Ash has caught or has at least one/two or all of the Starter Pokémon in every region. So far, Ash currently didn't catch a Starter Pokémon in Galar
- Ash was originally going to have a Clefairy instead of a Pikachu as his partner. This was changed because people found Pikachu to be cuter.
- Besides the Orange League and Kanto Battle Frontier, the Alola League is currently the only actual league tournament that Ash ever won.
- Ash is the only known trainer to have ever defeated Tobias' Darkrai.
- In the Kanto region, Ash often turned his cap backward when preparing for a battle or to capture a Pokémon. This habit wore off as time went on. However, he was shown turning his cap backward when he was battling Tobias, presumably because Tobias was arguably the strongest trainer he'd ever faced, being the only one who was capable of beating all six of his Pokémon using only two of his own. Although in the Best Wishes series, Ash is seen turning his cap backward more often. He recently turned his hat around in A Battle of Aerial Mobility! when he used Froakie to help defeat and capture Fletchling.
- Ash has seen every legendary Pokémon from Kanto to Alola.
- In Tekken 6, there is a female character named Eleonore "Leo" Kliesen, who can be customized to look like Ash Ketchum. Coincidentally, both characters were voiced by Veronica Taylor and sounded very similar. However, in Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and onwards, Leo's voice grunts are used in later games where it was performed by Veronica Taylor and Leo is now voiced by a German voice actor to speak in her native German language.
- Almost every character in the Pokémon anime are featured in the games, such as Misty (who even appeared as a trophy in Super Smash Bros. Melee), Brock (who appeared in Pokémon Red/Blue version), and Lyra (from Diamond & Pearl), as a Trainer♀ in Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver version and Gary, who appeared as the main rival in Pokémon Red/Blue version default named as Blue. However, the only game Ash has ever appeared was in Pokémon Puzzle League for the Nintendo 64.
- According to Climbing the Walls!, Ash's favorite move is Thunderbolt, mostly since this is his Pikachu's most notable move throughout the entire series.
- Ash was Veronica Taylor's favorite role to voice in her career.
- Similar to Veronica Taylor and Sarah Natochenny, Klariz Magboo, Ash's Filipino voice actress, voices both Ash, and his mom.
- In the French dub, his name was changed to Sacha for unknown reasons.
- Aside from the Orange Islands, Johto, the second tour through Kanto and Sinnoh, in the beginning, Ash sends all his Pokémon to Professor Oak when he goes to a new region, although he left his Alola Pokémon with Professor Kukui.
- Ash's name is based on one of the three options for one's name in Red/Blue/Yellow.
- So far, Ash has not caught a Female-only or a Legendary. In addition, Ash has, as of yet, not Mega Evolved any of his Pokémon that are capable of doing so.
- Ash's Starter Pokémon is the first of his Pokémon to:
- Be an Electric-Type.
- Be only one Type.
- Have been obtained from a Pokémon Professor.
- Have already evolved before being obtained or caught.
- Know Electric-Type, Psychic-Type and Steel-Type moves.
- Disobey his Trainer.
- Be a Walking Pokémon.
- Been use for a villainous organization's plans.
- Only evolve through an Evolution item.
- Be uninterested or refused evolution.
- Travel more than one Region with his Trainer.
- Have participated in more than one Pokémon Regional League.
- Have gotten his Trainer in the Eighth-finals, Quarter-finals, Semi-Finals and Finals in some Regional Leagues alongside his teammates.
- Have gotten his Trainer a Pokémon League Competition title alongside his teammates.
- Be a member that one of their Trainer's main or Pokémon League rivals had or owns.
- Have participated in a different tournament or competition.
- Have not participated in a different tournament or competition.
- Have his Pre-Evolved form be part of the Baby Pokémon group.
- Have a different appearance based on gender.
- Been control by individuals.
- Have participated in all the Gym Battles in one region.
- Been in the most Gym Battles.
- Defeat more than one Legendary or Mythical Pokémon.
- Have or had a Signature Move.
- Have known or knew a Signature Move.
- Have participated in Battle Frontier battles.
- Have its ability revealed.
- Have participated in a Pokémon Contest.
- Been used as a hostage by villainous organizations for various reasons.
- Battle a Mega Evolve Pokémon.
- Defeat more than one Mega Evolve Pokémon.
- Have an exclusive Z-Move.
- Use Z-Moves and an exclusive one.
- Use Electric-Type, Normal-Type and Steel-Type Z-Moves.
- Have participated in both the Island Challenges Trial and Grand Trial battles.
- Have participated in more than one full battle.
- Have gotten his Trainer the title of League Champion in a Regional League alongside his teammates.
- To have Gigantamax.
- Use Max Moves and an exclusive G-Max Move.
- Have participated in the World Coronation Series.
- Ash has been held captive and use as a hostage for almost every villainous organizations in each Region he's been to.
- Team Rocket have taken Ash captive in almost every Region he's been to so he wouldn't get in their way. Sometimes, Ash was captured with his own Pokémon or others that weren't his so he wouldn't get in their way. So far, Ash was only used once by Team Rocket as a hostage for a Pokémon.
- Team Magma had Ash held captive because Pikachu had something they wanted and so he wouldn't get in their way.
- Team Galactic have held Ash captive so he wouldn't get in their way and as a hostage for a Pokémon.
- Team Flare did take Ash captive as they wanted to use one of the abilities he poses for their plans, Bond Phenomenon. Also, they are the first villainous organization to do so.
- Team Aqua, Team Plasma, and Team Skull are the only villainous organizations by far not to have held Ash captive or as a hostage for any reason.
- Ash has some features similarities with "Max Taylor" from "Dinosaur King"; wearing headwear of some kind, wearing gloves, an athletic aesthetic, and pairing with a lightning elemental partner. They were also voiced by Veronica Taylor in the English Dub.
- Ash has obtained at least one Flying-type and Fire-type from each region he has traveled.
- In the first episode of Pokémon Journeys, Ash overslept and was late to go to Professor Oak’s summer camping trip just like the first day he was going to get his first starter Pokémon in the first episode of the original series “ Pokémon - I Choose You! “.