He was originally Paul's Pokémon as a Chimchar but with Paul later abandoning him after deeming him to be nothing more than a weakling, Ash subsequently stepped in and offered Chimchar a chance to join his team with Chimchar accepting.
Under Ash's care, Chimchar evolved into Monferno and later Infernape while also helping Ash win many key battles in terms of Gym battles in Sinnoh or fights against other rival trainers as well as Team Rocket.
Infernape, as a Chimchar, was usually a very sweet and kind Pokémon, until Blaze was activated and he went on a rampage, ignoring everything and everyone around him, forcing Ash to personally stop Chimchar until it could calm down. He also was afraid of Zangooses since he was attacked by them, and had a very low self-esteem, as Paul often scolded him for being unable to meet his expectations and didn't allow him to show any emotions outside of anger and ferocity, and as a result, he was afraid of being punished or yelled at for letting its trainer down, and this was also briefly extended torwards Ash until heunderstood that it was a yell of concern. After he joined Ash's team, Chimchar had difficulty in settling in due to everyone, Pokemon included, always helped each other without hostility, and at first, after losing a training battle, he believedhe was going to get scolded, but everyone complimented him, causing him to burst into tears of happiness, and thanks to his new trainer, he managed to get over its fear of Zangooses. Ash always had great trust in Chimchar, using him in several important battles, and it was repayed when the Chimp Pokemon won them for his trainer, whose training methods worked perfectly for him
Every time Chimchar saw Paul, he would get really fired up and determined to defeat him in battle no matter what. Chimchar never gives up in battle, which is a trait that it carried with him as he evolved into Monferno, and then into Infernape.
Infernape is quite the feisty Pokémon and, in his current stage, is always looking for someone to battle and some new way to boost its skills. His personality almost completely matches Ash, which is why these two are a perfect match for one another. He still retains some of its childlike personality from when it was a Chimchar, and, like when he was a Chimchar, always takes any advice and motivation it receives, even from its enemies, such as Meowth. He is also very friendly to other Pokémon as one of its best friends is Dawn's Piplup.
Infernape is an adapted battler similar to May's Blaziken when using his fighting techniques such as hus Mach Punch.
His journey and training under Ash has turned Infernape into a truly powerful battler, being able to easily defeat Jolteon with a single Mach Punch and take out many members of Paul's team. Thanks to his Blaze Ability, Infernape becomes even more powerful in battle, which was the reason his Flare Blitz was powerful enough to knock Paul's Electivire out despite already having taken so much damage.
Although he first met Ash during his time with Paul, Infernape, as a Chimchar, took an interest in him when he saw how much he cared for his Pokémon and Ash commenting on his skills as a battler. After Paul abandoned him and Ash asked him to come with him, Infernape accepted his offer becoming very close with him. They would do anything for one another no matter what. Ash always encouraged Infernape and believed in him, and that trust was repayed through all his victories, and also manages to master his Blaze ability.
Infernape is great friends with his teammates and enjoys being with them. However, Infernape has a stronger bond with Pikachu and Torterra as they both not only became some of his first real friends but also his best friends.
|This article has an incomplete plot or synopsis.|
Reason: References and Reconstructing
Please help the Pokémon Wiki by expanding it.
As a Chimchar, Infernape was discovered by Paul whilst trying to escape a pack of Zangoose. When he was cornered on the edge of a cliff, Chimchar used Flame Wheel and defeated all the Zangoose. However, Chimchar developed a huge, paralyzing fear of Zangoose. After Paul became impressed with him and offer a spot on his team, Chimchar accepted the offer and was caught by him.
However, Chimchar did tried his hardest for Paul but he grew disappointed in him because he could't displayed that kind of power whilst he was training with him. Although he helped Paul win many battles, including his gym battle with Roark, Chimchar in his Trainer eyes still considered him weak.
During the Hearthome City Tag Battle tournament, Chimchar and Pikachu won the first round for their Trainer, after they got pair with each other. That night, after winning the first round, Chimchar was training with Paul and his other Pokémon where Ash, who noticed what their doing when he was training his Pokémon, arrived at the scene. When he used Flamethrower, Chimchar accidentally hit Ash and went to go see if he was ok and became relieved to see that he wasn't hurt then showed appreciation towards him when he praised him for getting strong. Although he wanted to get stronger through his Trainer methods, Chimchar begins to question it as he felt sad for not having any encouragement from Paul or not being able to befriend his teammates. After collapsing from exhaustion, Chimchar was about to be hit by Paul's Elekid Thunder attack but Pikachu arrived just in time to save him as Ash, Dawn and her Pipulp show up as they told Paul that he's done more then enough training. Chimchar was brought to the Pokémon Center by Ash so he can get treated and some rest. Despite needing rest, Chimchar was put in battle by Paul and Ash, who was very concern for him, had his Turtwig protect him during the battle, which he appreciated from both of them. However, due to battling a Zangoose, Chimchar couldn't relive battling the Cat Ferret Pokémon as he let his fear get the better of him and Paul wasn't pleased about this at all. While defending Turtwig from a Fire Blast, Chimchar was ready to attack but Paul completely stopped giving him orders but Ash decided to give him the command as he helped him defeat Metagross while Turtwig defeated Zangoose. When Paul decided that he was too soft to use the kind of power he'd seen when he battled the Zangooses and had enough, Chimchar was released from his team for good, abandoning him.
When he was about to return to the wild, Chimchar stopped when Ash stepped in at the last second and offered him a spot on his own team. However, before he could give a response, Chimchar was captured by Team Rocket, who intended to make him a member. However, Chimchar used a Flamethrower to escape and sent Team Rocket blasting off yet again. Although, due to being in the air, Chimchar was falling but Ash saved him just in time and accepted the offer to become a permanent member of his team then was caught in one of his Poké Balls while being witness by Dawn, Brock and his first true friends, Pikachu, Piplup and Turtwig. After watching the semi-finals of the Hearthome City Tag Battle tournament, Chimchar was used in the finals and was able to win for Ash and Paul.
After joining Ash's team, Chimchar overcame his fear of Zangoose and was used in many battles. Chimchar was used against Maylene and her Meditite, hitting her with Scratch, but she recovers by hitting him with Drain Punch. The Chimp Pokemon hits her with another Scratch followed by a Flamethrower, but gets confused by her Confusion and gets recalled. Hethen fought against Maylene's Lucario, but despite hitting it with a super-effective Flame Wheel, he gets paralized by its Force Palm and hit by a super-effective Bone Rush, and his attempt to use Dig its stopped by an Aura Sphere, and Lucario defeats Chimchar with Metal Claw. He was also used in a 3-on-3 battle against Barry as Ash's first Pokémon. He fights his Staraptor and wins thanks to his agility, but despite the type advantage, he loses against his Roserade after being repeatedly hit by Poison Jab.
Chimchar was then used in the next three Gym Battles. Hewas used against Fantina and her Mismagius, defeating it with a powerful Flame Wheel and against her Fantina's Drifblim, who defeated both Pikachu and Buizel. Against Byron, he fought against his Bronzor, which was a tough opponent for Chimchar its special ability Heatproof and its Rain Dance. Both Pokemon are tired, but only Chimchar manages to hold on, winning the round before being recalled. Hethen fights against Byron's Steelix, who quickly defeated Buizel, and manages to block it by repeatedly using Dig and defeats it with Flame Wheel, but when it has to face Byron's final Pokemon, Bastiodon, Chimchar is too tired and gets quickly defeated when Bastiodon uses his Flamethrower against himwith Metal Burst. Against Candice, Chimchar fought against her Snover, who defeated Gliscor not before being weakened, and after Flamethrower is countered by Icy Wind, he manages to find her and defeat her with Flamethrower, but Candice's final Pokémon, Abomasnow, hits him with Blizzard and Ash recalls it. After Abomasnow defeats in one hit both Staraptor and Grotle, Chimchar is then sent out again, and this time, by using a piece of ice to quickly move on the field, he manages to hit her with Flamethrower and dodge all her attacks, tiring her out before defeating her with a Flame Wheel that Blizzard is unable to stop.
In Chim - Charred!, Chimchar wants to take Gligar's place after it was defeated by Paul's Gliscor and battles Paul's Ursaring after seeing Paul's cruelty to Ash. Chimchar ends up brutally beaten by Ursaring despite his efforts to take it down. Chimchar's Blaze ability was activated and defeats Ursaring with a powerful Flame Wheel. However, Chimchar goes berserk when his Blaze was activated and also throws Ash and the other Pokémon with his Flame Wheel causing to have a forest fire and also blasting Team Rocket off when they are hiding in the bushes. Both Buizel and Dawn's Piplup manage to extinguish the fire as Ash hugged Chimchar tight convincing it that the fight is over and it successfully wakes Chimchar back to its normal state making Paul forfeited his battle with Ash and he tells the latter about controlling Chimchar's Blaze.
In Evolving Strategies!, during Ash's first Full Battle with Paul, when Ash has only Chimchar left, he sends himout to fight against Paul's Ursaring, who already defeated half of his team: Buizel, Staraptor and Pikachu, but the Chimp Pokémon manages to beat it for the second time and evolves into a Monferno afterwards and learns a new move, Mach Punch. Despite that, Monferno was too tired and was defeated by Electabuzz as Ash loses the full battle. Ash was so depressed to see his Pokémon are in a bad shape while taking recovery at the Pokémon Center. Monferno, like the others, is badly hurt, but his recovey it's slower that his teammates and requires a Cheri Berry. As Pikachu was taken by Team Rocket by surprise, they are stopped by Gliscor's Sand Atrack forcing both James and Jessie to fight them. Monferno easily knocks Team Rocket with a multiple of Mach Punch, freeing Pikachu from the net as the trio takes the blame on each other. Ash commands Buizel, Staraptor, Grotle, Gliscor, Monferno and Pikachu to use their powerful attacks to blast Team Rocket off after Ash's confidence and determination finally restored from his Full Battle loss.
In Fighting Ire with Fire!, Ash battles Barry in a three on three battle using both Barry's Empoleon and Monferno as the first. Monferno gives the upper hand against Empoleon but being knocked down in a distance with its Hydro Cannon. The battle is soon interrupted by Team Rocket who managed to capture Ash, Dawn, Brock and Barry as other Pokémon did their best to release them as their attacks are unaffected but they are captured by them during their motto. Team Rocket's success are soon to be short lived when Monferno manages to break the ball that Ash got trapped with a powerful Flame Wheel. To their scare, Monferno went berserk when his Blaze ability was activated and unleashed his full power against Team Rocket by destroying their balloon with a powerful Flame Wheel followed by a Mach Punch. Ash tries to stop Monferno from attacking while he continues using Flame Wheel while Paul's Electabuzz uses Protect to protect Pikachu, Piplup and Empoleon while in the cage. Ash hugs Monferno tight trying to convince him about their promise to get stronger and be together. It engulfs Ash in flames much to Paul's shock and seeing Ash risking his life for his Pokémon. Monferno finally regains his normal state and tries to protect the Pokémon when Electabuzz is losing its energy, Monferno uses Flame Wheel while he evolved into Infernape to break the cage to rescue Pikachu, Piplup and Empoleon and lifts and destroys the remaining robot that Team Rocket used with a single Mach Punch. All of the Pokémon was happy to see Infernape. Paul also reveals to Ash that Monferno's Blaze ability had managed him to evolve into Infernape. Ash also tells him that he will battle him someday. Paul replies that his older brother, Reggie wants to see them both battle in the Sinnoh League especially to challenge Ash's Infernape which it accepts its challenge before he left. Ash decides to train more for his final badge at the Sunyshore Gym which Infernape accepts.
Infernape was later used in a battle against Flint's Infernape, but lost due to his lack of experience compared to Flint's, getting defeated by a single Mach Punch. This was Infernape's only defeat since it evolved, and it has won every other battle it was in.
Infernape had a major role in Ash's gym battle in Sunyshore Gym where he easily defeated Volkner's Jolteon with Mach Punch and use his fully controlled Blaze to defeat Volkner's Luxray, who already defeated Pikachu, with a powerful Flame Wheel.Infernape learned Flare Blitz in Working on a Right Move!, knocking out Brock's Sudowoodo in a practice battle. In the quarter-finals, he faced off against Paul's newly evolved Aggron with Flare Blitz which burns it and proceeded to deliver a Mach Punch, defeating it. Infernape later battled Paul's Ninjask. Infernape used Dig and used Flare Blitz underground which made the field burst out Infernape's flames which damaged Ninjask, canceled Paul's Drapion's Toxic Spikes effect and surrounded the field in mist which allowed Infernape to attack Ninjask by a single Mach Punch, knocking it out. Infernape battled Paul's Electivire in the final battle between Ash and Paul, as Electivire defeated both Gliscor and Pikachu. Electivire used Thunder and slammed its tail to the ground which made the rocks fly towards Infernape. The so-called "Field Thunder" was done because of Infernape weakening the stability of the field when it used "Underground Flare Blitz." After a lot of battling, Infernape used Mach Punch, however, Electivire's tail caught Infernape's arm. Electivire then proceeded to use Thunder for a long period of time. After Electivire let it out, the referee began to announce that Infernape was unable to battle, but Electivire stopped him from doing so. Suddenly, Infernape began to glow and activated his Blaze and fired a super-powerful blast of Flamethrower which not even Electivire's Thunder could penetrate. Infernape then attacked with a powerful Flare Blitz. Thanks to the Blaze-powered Flare Blitz, Electivire was burnt, gave in and stumbled to the ground, declared unable to battle, with Ash winning the full battle against his long-time Sinnoh rival Paul and ending their rivalry. With this victory, Infernape also allows Ash to qualify for the semi-finals of the Pokémon League, something that he had never achieved before In The Brockster Is In! it helped make the ship hot to heal several Baby Pokémon.
- Counter Shield was used in Shield With a Twist! and Evolving Strategies!. Chimchar/Monferno uses Flamethrower after using Flame Wheel, releasing fire whips everywhere.
- Flamethrower Wheel used in the Tag Battle against Khoury and Lyra, it starts off with Cyndaquil running ahead and using Flame Wheel and while Cyndaquil somersaults into the Flame Wheel, Monferno uses Flamethrower towards Cyndaquil causing more flames to gather and a speed boost towards the target.
- Flamethrower Skating used in Ash's Battle with Candice. It consists of Chimchar using a piece of ice as a skateboard or surfboard to gain speed and use Flamethrower to avoid being counterattacked by Abomasnow's other attacks.
- Underground Flare Blitz was used in a battle against Paul at the Lily of the Valley Conference in A Real Rival Rouser!. Infernape used Dig, and then while underground used Flare Blitz, causing the entire field to heat up and fire to burst from the ground. This canceled the effects of Drapion's Toxic Spikes and also damaged Ninjask.
Voice actors and actress
- Megumi Hayashibara (Japanese as a Chimchar)
- Yūji Ueda (Japanese as a Monferno and an Infernape)
- Bill Rogers (English)
- Infernape has used Blaze five times, twice as Chimchar, once as Monferno, and twice as Infernape.
- Infernape was unable to control its ability prior to it evolving.
- Infernape has activated its ability more times than any other Pokémon on Ash's team.
- Infernape was unable to control its ability prior to it evolving.
- Infernape's Flare Blitz seems to be stronger than Flint's Infernape's Flare Blitz, as Ash's Flare Blitz is blue instead of Flint's Flare Blitz, which is red and yellow. Blue flames are hotter than the normal ones.
- However, Flint's Infernape was seen using a blue Flare Blitz whilst battling Cynthia's Garchomp.
- Infernape is the first Pokémon owned by a rival from Ash, and which was later owned by Ash himself.
- Infernape has some similarities with Paul's Torterra.
- Both are a final evolution of a Sinnoh starter Pokémon.
- Both have only been defeated in one known battle since their final evolution, and both were knocked out with a single Fighting type move in that battle.
- Infernape also shares some similarities with Ash's Charizard and Ash's Pignite.
- All of them are Fire types that evolved from starter Pokémon.
- All of them were abandoned by their original trainer because that trainer thought they were weak.
- All of them became among Ash's most powerful Pokémon, proving that their original trainers had been wrong about their strength.
- Unlike Charizard and Pignite's original trainers, Paul did not lie or fake a kind farewell to Infernape, but rather straight forwardly demanded it to leave.
- All of them had their lives saved by Ash prior to joining his team. Charizard by Ash keeping the flame on his tail lit when he was a Charmander. Pignite by Ash feeding him because he was starving due to the rope around his snout. And Infernape by Ash catching him as he fell after Team Rocket tried to steal him.
- Another difference is that unlike Charizard and Pignite's original trainers, who had the audacity to ask them to rejoin their team despite the appalling way they treated them, Paul did not attempt to get Infernape to rejoin his team after seeing how powerful he was, thus sparing himself the humiliation of grovelling to Infernape.
- This could also be seen as Paul's one and only act of kindness for Infernape, as it means that Paul truly acknowledges Infernape's growth from the weak and timid Chimchar he had abandoned.
- After evolving into Monferno, it become the first time Ash had two starter Pokémon that evolved from the same region.
- Infernape is universally considered to be among Ash's strongest Pokémon, along with Pikachu, Sceptile, Charizard, Krookodile, Greninja, and Lycanroc.
- ^ DP053: Tears For Fears! Ash referred Chimchar as a he (In Japanese Version)
- ^ a b DP051: Glory Blaze!
- ^ DP003: When Pokémon Worlds Collide!
- ^ DP006: Different Strokes For Different Blokes!
- ^ DP015: Shapes of Things to Come!
- ^ DP040: Top-Down Training!
- ^ DP050: Tag! We're It...!
- ^ DP052: Smells Like Team Spirit!
At Oak's Lab
At Kukui's house
At Cerise Laboratory