The Alola Starter Pokémon can be picked out of three Pokémon that the player character will obtain in their journey which cannot be found in the Alola Region itself. The three starter Pokémon are Rowlet the Grass/ Pokémon, Litten the Fire Pokémon and Popplio the Water Pokémon.
Rowlet has Overgrow, Litten has Blaze, and Popplio has Torrent abilities. When their HP is 30% of their maximum HP or less, their grass type, fire type, and water type attacks will get a boost, respectively.
In Pokémon Sun and Moon, after returning from Mahalo Trail and arrive back in Iki Town, the Kahuna of Melemele Island, Hala, will offer the Starter Pokémon to choose from. A ceremony will occur after choosing the first Pokémon. Hau will always have the Pokémon that is the weakest to the chosen starter.
The player's choice will also influence other battles in the game.
- Ilima's Smeargle second move during the battle in Hau'oli City Marina will variate in: Leafage, Ember or Water Gun; the chosen move will be super effective against the player character's starter choice.
- Gladion's Silvally will have the type that is super effective against the chosen starter.
- Professor Kukui will use the Pokémon that is super effective against the chosen starter in the Pokémon League battle.
- Hau's Eevee will evolve into the evolution that is super effective against the chosen starter.
- Alola Starter Pokémon can evolve from level 17 and later at level 34, unlike the previous starters.
- Rowlet is the first dual type starter pokemon since gen 1, with bulbasaur, a Grass/Poison type.