The Alola Starter Pokémon can be picked out of three Pokémon that new trainers will obtain in their journey which cannot be found in the Alola Region itself. The three starter Pokémon are Rowlet the Grass/ Pokémon, Litten the Fire Pokémon and Popplio the Water Pokémon.
Pokémon Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon
In Pokémon Sun and Moon and Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, after returning from Mahalo Trail and arrive back in Iki Town, the Kahuna of Melemele Island, Hala/Professor Kukui, will offer the Starter Pokémon to choose from. A ceremony will occur after choosing the first Pokémon. Hau will always have the Pokémon that is the weakest to the chosen starter.
The player character's choice will also influence other battles in the game.
- Ilima's Smeargle's second move during the battle in Hau'oli City Marina will variate in: Leafage, Ember or Water Gun; the chosen move will be super effective against the player character's starter choice.
- Gladion's Silvally will have the type that is super effective against the chosen starter.
- Professor Kukui will use the starter Pokémon that is super effective against the chosen starter in the Pokémon League battle.
- Hau's Eevee will evolve into the evolution that is super effective against the chosen starter.
Pokémon Sword and Shield
In Pokémon Sword and Shield The Isle of Armor Expansion Pass, after collecting 100 Alolan Diglett, Diglett's Trainer will give the player the Alolan starter that corresponds to the same type of the Galar starter the player chose.
- If the player choose Grookey, then they'll receive Rowlet.
- If the player choose Scorbunny, then they'll receive Litten.
- If the player choose Sobble, then they'll receive Popplio.
- Lana caught a Popplio in Alola as her first Pokémon, after rescuing her from Team Skull. It evolved into a Brionne then into Primarina.
- Ash reused the same pattern that he did in Sinnoh, where he caught two out of three starter Pokémon. This time, of course, he obtained Rowlet and a Litten. However, unlike the Sinnoh starters, Litten was the only starter to evolve, as it became a Torracat and later into Incineroar, while Rowlet did not evolve, as it ends up using an Everstone as one of its moves and became physically incapable of evolution.
- Alola's Starter Pokémon can evolve from level 17 and later at level 34, unlike the previous starters.
- The Alola Starters gain a uinque type and signature attack upon evoltuion: Decidueye is part Ghost and possesses Spirit Shackle, Incineroar is part Dark and possesses Darkest Lariat and Primarina is part Fairy and possesses Sparkling Aria.
- Rowlet is the first dual type Starter Pokémon since Generation I, with Bulbasaur, a Grass/Poison type.
- Rolwet is also the only Alola Starter that is one of the Starter Pokémon in Pokémon Legends: Arceus.
- Alolan Starter Pokémon is first generation without following tradition "1 quadrupedal starter and two bipedal starters". While Litten use four legs to walk all time and Rowlet are bipedal, Popplio are neither bipedal nor four-legged Pokémon. Instead, Popplio walk on land using all four flippers and front flippers to swim on sea.