|“||The islands of Alola were given form when underground volcanoes erupted long, long ago. Pokémon came to live in Alola when they flew, swam or were carried on the wind to the isles.||”|
–A book in Trainers' School on third floor
Among the starter Pokémon for beginners are Rowlet, the Grass-type Pokémon (which resembles an owl), Litten, the Fire-type Pokémon (which resembles a kitten), and Popplio, a Water-type Pokémon (which resembles a circus seal). It is the residence of Lana, Mallow, Sophocles, Kiawe, and Lillie.
The Alola region consists of four main islands and one artificial island. Currently, the names are:
- Alola's name comes from the Hawaiian greeting, "Aloha".
- This is also the second region to based upon an US state (Hawaii), the first is Unova (which is based on New York and New Jersey).
- It is also worth noting that this is the first region with a palindromic name.
- The two legendary Pokémon are Solgaleo, resembling a lion with a sun motif, and Lunala, resembling a bat with a moon motif.
- This is the first region to have Legendary Pokémon who have Evolved forms.
- Similar to people in Hawaii, Alolan people use "Alola" as a word of greetings.
- This is the second region to not introduce new Fossil Pokémon, the first being Johto.
- This is the first main series game region which does not have Gym Leaders.
- Until the events of the game, there wasn't even an Elite Four or a Champion. However, thanks to the efforts of Professor Kukui, two Kahunas, one Trial Captain, and one past victor of the Isle Challenge become the Alola Elite Four, while the player character becomes the Champion.
- Victory Road is also absent.
- In its anime adaption’s episode SM100 and SM101, an alternate future of Alola exist, and it is based on the game’s Ultra Ruin, until Guzzlord’s defeat.
- It is the first game in the main series without the gym system.
- The Alola Pokémon League is currently the only actual Pokémon League Ash ever actually won, beside the Orange League and Kanto Battle Frontier.
Cities, Towns and Villages
Caves, Tunnels and Mountains
Places of Interest
Akala Outskirts · Altar of the Moone · Altar of the Sunne · Ancient Poni Path · Berry Fields · Brooklet Hill
Exeggutor Island · Haina Desert · Hano Beach · Hau'oli Cemetery · Kala'e Bay · Kantonian Gym · Lake of the Moone
Lake of the Sunne · Lush Jungle · Mahalo Trail · Malie Garden · Melemele Meadow · Melemele Sea · Memorial Hill
Paniola Ranch · Poni Breaker Coast · Poni Coast · Poni Gauntlet · Poni Grove · Poni Meadow · Poni Plains · Poni Wilds
Royal Avenue · Secluded Shore · Ula'ula Meadow · Ultra Space · Vast Poni Canyon · Wela Volcano Park
|Other regions: Kanto (Sevii Islands) · Johto · Hoenn · Sinnoh (Battle Zone) · Unova · Kalos · Alola · Galar (Isle of Armor · Crown Tundra)|